Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush...again!

Unhappy Thrush...again!

Hi! I really need some help!

About a week and a half ago, I was treated for thrush but the peds doctor wouldn't for the baby because he didnt have white spots in his mouth. We were doing better but now I'm back to being in that unbelievable pain and the baby has a couple small spots on his tongue. I took one diflucan pill that was I think 150 mg and the doctor told me to use betadine and monastat also. I had already purchased the Gentian Violet and used it on both the baby and myself.

I've called both doctors back to see what else they can give us, but in the meantime what can I do to treat this myself? I'm in so much pain that I think I'm going to use my pump for the rest of the day and hopefully by tonight the Gentian Violet (which I started again this afternoon) will have helped enough that I can bf him by tonight.

Thanks!

Default Re: Thrush...again!

I actually meant to post this in the forum below...sorry!

My dr treated me and pedi the baby and it didn't come back-even if it doesnt show up in the baby he can pass it too you.. be sure to sterilize pump parts after using and dump the milk!!!

I'm sorry you're struggling with this! Ideally, both mom and baby should be treated even if one of them isn't showing symptoms. Otherwise (as you now know!) it just gets passed around again.

Here's a link you may find helpful:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

hi! i just gave my 2cts worth in another post about thrush.

both my bb and i had thrush in his first 2 months. i chose the drug-less way becos i'm a sceptic when it comes to putting drugs into infants. it takes away their ability to strengthen their immune system, i feel. instead, i chose to give him probiotics which basically ups his good bacteria. i also took the probiotics and everything cleared up within 3 weeks. however, if nursing has become an issue, then you might choose a faster method but at the same time, do bring up his good bacteria anyway with probiotics.

FYI, i tried 2 tubes of DAKTARIN Gel and it didn't even work AT ALL!!!

Hi,
    I had this problem too . . . I took grapefruit seed extract for a week (1 pill 3x/day) and used miconazole ointment topically on my nipples for two weeks and it cleared up (both available OTC without prescription). The grapefruit seed extract worked quickly for me and the horrible burning was much better within two days. My baby had been treated about a month earlier and it had cleared up for her--she didn't get treated again when I did, other than she probably got some grapefruit seed extract through the milk. Fortunately we have had no problems since.
    Good luck!!
    Jill

Thank you to all who replied! We're still having problems...mostly just me I think.

I think I saw a post before that someone had listed a topical pain reliever they took that was ok for baby. Does anyone know what it is? I have the worst nipple pain and I'm starting to have a really hard time nursing...it just hurts so bad.

Anyway thanks again!! I'm definitely going to try the Grapefruit seed extract.

My dd and I had thrush a few times in the beginning. We first used the Nystatin, and that worked for a day, but the thrush came back, so then she was given a 10 day course of Difulcan, and her ped also prescribed a 10 day dose for me to take, so she got it that way, too. After that, the thrush never came back! We also used Nystatin ointment on her bottom, as she had a bad diaper rash at the same time!

Remember to continue whatever treatments you're using for several days after your symptoms disappear. Thrush comes back again and again otherwise! The gentian violet should only be used for 3 days though. You can follow up with acidophilus after that. Gentian violet really works well. You can use your acidophilus tablets with the powder inside them, and make a little paste with water--wipe it inside baby's mouth and on your breasts too. The real insurance is elimination of sugars from the diet for a short time. The advice about boiling all rubber implements is good--all pacifiers, bottle nipples and anything that touches mouth or milk should be thoroughly cleaned--or better yet, tossed. Get new ones later if needed.