Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to teach my LO to ask when he wants to nurse?

Default How to teach my LO to ask when he wants to nurse?

My LO will be 10 months old in a few days. He's not talking yet but I thought I should start telling him how to ask for mommy's milk so that by the time he talks, it would be helpful. If I want him to say "nummies" when he wants to nurse, how should I go about it?

Any suggestions, advices are greatly appreciated

Default Re: How to teach my LO to ask when he wants to nurse?

I would just say the word you want him to use every time you are about to nurse him. Or if you think he wants to nurse, you could ask him, "Do you want ___?" And while offering it, "Here is your____" Just try to say the word as often as you can while he is nursing and that way he will hopefully make the association.

I tried to teach Nora to say "milk" or "boppy" but she actually doesn't say either of them! She will do the hand sign for milk and say "ma" or "nam nam" neither of which I have ever used.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We use sign languuage and it has worked great. Now I don't offer anymore he lets me know. Everyone gets a big kick out watching him sign.

Quote Originally Posted by kmk73 View Post
    We use sign languuage and it has worked great. Now I don't offer anymore he lets me know. Everyone gets a big kick out watching him sign.
    We do this, too. Everyone in my family knows the sign for milk, now!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Ladies for sharing your experiences. Will start telling/signing(whichever works) my LO from today onwards

Quote Originally Posted by kmk73 View Post
    I too use sign language and it has been sooo helpful for my LO to express herself
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I was wondering the same thing. I like the idea of sign language. How and when do you start using the sign language? Just show him the milk sign before every feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by jsf28 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I like the idea of sign language. How and when do you start using the sign language? Just show him the milk sign before every feeding?
    You can start whenever you like. We started really early, but lo didn't pick it up until about 10 montsh or so. You just do the sign every time you say the word. Say it as often as you can before and during nursing and that'll create the association between the act and the sign/word! It's pretty easy, but you have to be consistent to get it to work.
    --Anonymous

We use the milk sign too! I love having a "secret" code that doesn't involve yelling out something embarrassing.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.