Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: missed feedings and supply

Default missed feedings and supply

Yesterday I ended up missing (not BF or EBM, just FF) 3 feedings, because I was away from baby for them. I was also not able to pump in those hours (got pretty engorged) but when I fed baby, he was too fussy to eat well. Baby seemed very fussy at breast all night and this morning, and I still want to BF him as much as possible. I can start pumping again to bring up supply but I need to know: how quickly could this end up affecting my milk supply? I think I was having issues with supply anyway, but this couldn't be helped.

Default Re: missed feedings and supply

Can you explain a little more about the fussiness? He could be coming up on a growth spurt. Another thought, perhaps with you being away from him during the day he was trying to reconnect during the night?

What are his diapers like? How many wet diapers is he having a day? That is a good indicator of how much he is getting.

Each time you offer a bottle of formula, you are telling your body to make less milk if you're not pumping to make up for it. I'm not sure that one day could make a difference that fast. I wonder if you were so engorged it was hard for baby to latch on? Or possibly the flow of milk was a little overwhelming?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Has your baby had any formula before? I aske because when I gave my LO formula a few times early on I think it upset her stomach because she wasn't used to it. There's a lot of iron in infant formula and it is very constipating. Also sometimes babies are intolerant of the cow's milk proteins. So maybe any of these things might be contributing to the fussiness. There may be some ideas in this link:

My baby fusses or cries during nursing-- what's the problem?

Particularly, check out the part about baby wanting a faster milk flow. Bottles have a much faster flow than a breast, so your baby might need to re-adjust to the slower flow of nursing. How old is LO by the way?

Here is the absolute best link that I know of regarding supply. I can confidently tell you that 3 missed feedings is NOT the end of your milk supply, so try not to stress too much mama!!

Increasing Low Milk Supply
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. It couldn't have come at a better time (baby was fussy at breast as I was reading responses). To answer some questions, he is just a month and he has had some formula before (not much, maybe a few oz here and there). He has been gaining weight pretty well, and his output is pretty normal (he did give us a scare with no poopy diapers in a few hours but that was corrected quickly, more us worrying than anything to worry about).

I am thinking now that he isn't fussy because of low milk supply, but because my breast isn't fast enough. I used to have a fast supply (would squirt at the beginning) and he liked that. Now that my supply is regulating a bit, it doesn't squirt and takes more work for him. I think he is frustrated by that and fusses as a result. Does this sound likely?

It could be attached to your Milk Ejection Reflex, at four weeks they also start doing a bunch of new developmental things too. Check out the gastro-colic reflex on this link: http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

It can be frustrating and a little scary trying to understand what your new baby is doing. It really sounds like you are doing your best to be attentive.

I was thinking about what Lyn was talking about. About your baby perhaps wanting to be close to you. Have you done much skin on skin contact? It can be reassuring to baby to snuggle up on mama's chest, and relax against her skin. Do you own a sling or a wrap? They can allow you to move around the house, and have your hands free, all while cuddling baby.

Just some ideas.