Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: back to work & weaning

Default back to work & weaning

Hi, I am hoping someone has advice for me. I have to go back to work in Feb. My 10 month old still nurses 2-3 times a day as well as about 3 feeds throughout the night. She won't take a bottle so I can't pump and leave it with daycare.
    Would it be possible to not nurse her at all throughout the day but nurse her when I get home from work? I don't have much choice in the matter but am wondering if it would be better for her to wean completely. Also, will my milk production allow me to nurse only at night. I have no time to pump while at work. If I didn't have to go back to work I would not be thinking about weaning but I do...
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: back to work & weaning

Dee

DD2 wouldn't ever take a bottle either. She went from 8:30 to 3:30 without nursing when I first went back to work. She was pretty good w/ a sippy cup though and was doing some solids at the time. I nursed when I got home and ALL through the night.

HTH

I nursed only in the evenings and first thing in the morning. Well, I guess that's pretty much what I do now because, unless she's upset about something or not feeling well, she's too busy to nurse during the day. She's a before bedtime and first thing in the morning girl.

Your supply will adjust to whatever you do.

I agree that your supply will adjust. I would plan to pump to releave discomfort the first week though. It may be unrealistic to think you can go without doing anything, you don't want to risk becoming impacted. If you have made a decision to wean you may want to consider implementing some gentle weaning a month prior to your leaving for work. That way you can sensitively cut back, and it will be less of a shock to both your body and your child's feelings.

In addition to this, you may see significantly more desire in your infant to nurse in the evening. Maybe encouraging more night/evening nursing now will make it easier for you?

Have you tried any slow flow sippy cups? I admit that I am not a huge fan of gerber, but this sippy works well as far as flow goes: http://www.gerber.com/toddlersite?tm...tml&tmspromo=2
    Last edited by carpentergirl; December 17th, 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Don't wean completely!! She can make up for any nutritional gaps by nursing at night and weekends. Your supply will adjust. Maybe you could pump a little and see if she'll take it in a cup (or sippy, if you haven't tried that). If she doesn't, then why not just freeze it and use it later (in food or a cup). You might want to do that anyway to ease any pain from engorgement and give your body some transition time instead of trying to go the whole day without pumping right off the bat. HTH! Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

from that link:
    If mom is away from baby during the day, baby may take just enough milk (by bottle or cup) to "take the edge off" his hunger, then wait for mom to return to get the bulk of his calories. Baby will typically nurse more often and/or longer than usual once mom returns. Some mothers encourage reverse cycling so they won't need to pump as much milk. Reverse cycling is common for breastfed babies who are away from mom part of the day, especially those just starting out with the bottle.

Thank you so much for the replies. I thought I had to wean due to lack of calories for my LO while I am away. Now the pressure is gone and I can continue to nurse when I get home from work. She is eating solids and will take water from her sippy cup so she should be fine!

Thanks again!