Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you comfort after you wean?

Default How do you comfort after you wean?

Hi, all. My DS is 14 mos old and an avid nurser (day and night!) I love nursing him and had considered starting to wean him slowly after 18 months. We cosleep, too. Well, I found out this week I am pregnant and due early August, so I have a lot of tough decisions to make.
    Nursing is how I comfort him when he is sick, scared, overwhelmed, cranky, etc. This may sound silly, but I don't know what to do if I don't nurse him. He spends 2 13-hour days a week without me when I work and my hubby says DS won't nap as well and is crankier because he doesn't have the "magic boobs!"

So when we are no longer nursing, will I be able to calm him down? I know he will survive without it, but so far, the boobs do seem to be "magic!"
    Thanks!

Default Re: How do you comfort after you wean?

Isn't that the truth! The "Magic Boobs".

DD2 weaned on her own a few months ago. Lots of hugs for comfort work for us. She also has a kiki (blanket) which she definately carries much more now. That blanket has replaced the boob

FWIW, she nursed thru my entire pregnancy w/ dd3 and continued to nurse for a couple months after dd3 was born. So it's possible if that's what you want to do

Thanks for the reply and the support, Chris! I am considering my options with tandem nursing. (whew! I never thought I would say that! ) My DS nursed literally every 30 -90 min the first 8 months or so. Some days he is still like that. He was colicky and screamed a lot! Surely God wouldn't give me 2 babies like that! Haha. At least now I know about babywearing, OALD,and oversupply. I just don't think I could do two if my next one is like my first. I can't even imagine not nursing my son at this point, though, but I know it will happen some day. I am just trying to prepare myself.
    Thanks again.

You might be surprised! Lots of LOs find their own comfort with other things in their 2nd year of life. It's an independent time for them, and they change so darn rapidly. Also, with your pregnancy, some LOs wean on their own.

If not, there obviously is tandem nursing as an option. I never really had a comfort nurser, and after I weaned, my DS wanted nothing to do with a rocking chair, because that's where we nursed (he still doesn't, and we've been weaned for a year). But, he'd calm down quickly if I walked with him and sang to him.

You'll find what works for you and your LO.

Wow, katie you just practically described my relationship with my dd who is now 12 mos. She was colicky and ever since then it seems like a day without screaming and crying is very rarely ever seen or heard. She is very much a comfort nurser and I too have no idea how to comfort her otherwise. When I try to just cuddle with her she gets angry with me and pushes me away and continues to cry very dramatically until I give in. I've tried pushing a lovey onto her but so far it has not convinced her...time will tell though if eventually like others have said that she will in fact accept other forms of soothing and comfort. Best of luck, let me know if you find something that works. I know exactly what you mean though, after having dd I don't even feel like I can bare to have anymore kids...its just to extremely stressful to hear her cry and scream 24/7 or so it seems. I just wish she would smile and giggle more to give my nerves a break. Does anyone know if she will eventually outgrow this behavior or is this just the temperment she has been dealt with? Anyways, just wanted to offer some support and let you know that you are definitely not alone. Best of luck!!

Thanks, again, ladies. I have to have faith that things will work out the way they are supposed to. I kind of hope my LO will want to wean himself, because right now he loves it so much, I can't imagine taking it away from him. It is a special thing for me, too, and I know it will be bittersweet when it happens. He is totally a comfort nurser. I know my supply has dropped since getting PG, and sometimes he is getting nothing when he nurses . . . but that doesn't stop him! He is cutting 6 teeth right now - I might as well strap the kid to my chest. Ha.
    DN7 . . . my LO has changed so much since 12 months. He is still what some people might call "high needs," but he is starting to do so many things without me. He won't accept anything but nursing when that is what he wants, either. He has gotten quite agressive about it. When I delay him or try something else, he generally throws himself down, beats his head on the floor, and screams! I have to maintain a good sense of humor about it or I will go crazy! (but I certainly have my moments.) It's definitely better than it used to be, though. He smiles a lot and likes to give kisses. He doesn't laugh that often, but when he does . . .
    Thanks for the support. I am such a newbie at each stage. Hopefully I won't be so confounded by #2!