Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still not eating much solids at 11 months

Default still not eating much solids at 11 months

Hi Ladies,

Just had a question for you all something I am so confused about, mainly because of the advice I hear from so many others who don't understand about breastfeeding.

My 11 mos old DS has really only been interested in solids since 9mos. and even then, really only eats about the equivalent of 4-6 ounces per day sometimes (we give him homeade baby food). He has just recently showed interest in mashed table foods, and last night actually fed himself a little ground mashed turkey and loved it.

Is there an amount of solids or ratio that babies should normally be eating at this age?

My dilemma is this: He also only nurses maybe 3 times during the day and 2-3x at night, still making plenty wet diapers/poops. He can go 5 hours without nursing/eating during the day. Is that normal? Also, I have not introduced any dairy to him (cheese/yogurt) because he is very sensitive to the dairy in my diet still, which I think is why he is late in starting solids (has many sensitivities).. After he turns 1 year soon, do I start slowly with the yogurt/cheese, and just keep nursing him on demand? After he is one year can I start offering solids before offering to nurse so that he might eat a little more? How does that work? Lately we have just been going "with the flow". Sometimes he wil nurse mid morning so I just offer solids for the lunch and nurse to sleep for afternoon naps, and sometimes it's the opposite where he'll nurse when he wakes up and then I'll nurse him again before lunch.

We have had many nursing battles along the way, DS is high need baby, nurses to sleep, cosleeps still, I decided long ago that I will let him wean himself.

It is just so frustrating to hear the advice from others lately, like my MIL (please for forgive) who told me that I should be "laying of the liquids with him and pushing the solids foods for nutrition)

THANK YOU FOR ANY INSIGHTS/ADVICE!

Default Re: still not eating much solids at 11 months

THis answer will have to be quick, as ds is becoming fussy...

Up through the 1st year your baby does not need anything more than your milk for nutrition. DS is 13 mos and eats 3 meals a day, but not much at each sitting-- and he weighs 30 lbs! it sounds like you are nursing as much as I am as well. 2 weeks ago he really seemed to hit his stride with eating. As long as the output is good and baby is gaining, I would offer continue to offer solids but not worry because after the 1st year nursing will supplement what baby is not taking in.

Hope this helps... I"m sure someone will be along with more help but I gtg!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I guess I'm someone with more help, but to be honest, Fezzik said it all!
    your baby doesnt need any solids for nutrition until at least 12 months.
    dont worry!

Hi! Hubby is giving ds a bath so I just wanted to hop on and also let you know that a good rule of thumb is that a baby can eat about 1 Tablespoon of food at a sitting for however many years old she is. The baby food companies put more in a "serving" to sell more food (and also to accomidate the ff babies who can sometimes be used to being "over full")... UGH!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Red face Re: still not eating much solids at 11 months

THANK YOU for the encouragment ladies...much of this I feel like I sort of know, being a new mom I find one of the hardest things is to ignore well meant but wrong advice. It is good to know that the serving size can be just a tablespoon if that. My DS seems to go in cycles, yesterday he gobbled up the food I offered him for dinner, today he wanted nothing to do with dinner, and was content to play. He is now walking by himself, I think this is part of it, as we were busy this afternoon out shopping. He can be so distracted I think that's part of it.

I guess I wonder how moms who don't breastfeed past one year handle their picky eaters? I am so glad to know that I can offer to nurse him when he doesn't feel like eating. Did either of you offer cow's milk after one year to your babies? My son as I mentioned seems very sensitive to it in my diet (gets extremely fussy/gassy with mucousy poops). I thinking of avoiding it altogether.

I think you are also right about FF babies and the servings sizes. One proud parents of a FF baby I know will tell me that their 8 month old is eating 3 - 4 jars of baby food per day, along with cereal and doesn't want formula anymore! I am just learning to quote the AAP when people tell me that my DS should be eating more.

Some people also tell me that if I would just nurse him less he would eat more, especially if I would stop the nighttime feedings. Is this false information too?

THANK YOU AGAIN!! I don't know what I would do without this message board! I have not been able to attend LLL meetings, and this MB has helped me all along the way to remember I'm not the only one!

My ds is the same way. He's going to be 9 mos this week and he doesn't really eat solids at all. Occasionally he'll grab something off my plate but won't stick it in his mouth.

I feel like you feel Ethansmommy. I just want him to be strong, healthy and happy so I think its all working out. but I still feel a little concerned....

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmommy
    Some people also tell me that if I would just nurse him less he would eat more, especially if I would stop the nighttime feedings. Is this false information too?
    FALSE!!!
    well, true in a way, since you would be restricting his access to a nutritionally perfect food, he would eventually start to eat more to make up for it. of course, he would also protest emotionally at the restriction of comfort and closeness, and let's be honest: why even try the experiment??

Awww! Ethansmommy, I am so glad you found this forum and that you recognize the wonderful gift you are giving your baby. I'm glad to have you here and to have your input.

When you worry about the lack of solids, remember that human milk is the most COMPLETE nutrition for your baby for the first year. If you allowed your baby to fill up on solids before offering breast milk, you would be substituting your babies diet with inferior food. Solids in the first year are given mainly for experimentation with foods and textures for baby, not as a source of nutrition (of course, you only want to offer nutritious foods!). When solid foods replace human milk in your baby's diet it decreases the protective antibodies the baby recieves. Your db will have to balance his energy intake by reducing the ammount of milk he consumes. Some babies with a tendency towards allergies will refuse solids for 7-8 mos (Mother nature is so smart!).

As far as picky formula fed babies, I know that my niece is given a pedia-sure once a day just to make sure she is getting her nutrients. Have you seen how expensive that stuff is? Plus, it's made up of synthetics. I'm glad ds gets it all from the most organic source possible (not to mention the cheapest).

To respond to your question about cows milk, we do not have any allergies so ds does get dairy products. We started him on them at about 11 mos. He loves yogurt and cheese!!! However, he refuses cows milk and lets it dribble from his mouth before saying "blech" and making a really funny face while shaking his head violently! I guess it's a poor substitute for the good stuff he's used to. As long as you are bf, I wouldn't worry about the cows milk- just make sure that vitamin D is coming from other sources, like the sun!

No research that I've read suggests that eating more during the day necessarily makes babies sleep better at night. I agree with majikfaerie- is it worth the experiment? I think that nourishment comes in more forms than just food- our babies need emotional nourishment at night as much as they need it during the day. Isn't it amazing how everyone seems to feel they know your baby better than you? Trusts your guts, mama--> you're on a beautiful path.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

"Trusts your guts, mama--> you're on a beautiful path."

I needed that Fezzik812. Thank you thank you. I never thought that I would be nursing a baby this long but the relationship I have with my now growing son is getting so fun and I could never take that away from him without him being developmentally ready.

This is the way mother nature intended it and I'm so glad to have talked with mothers like you who know what I'm talking about. Thanks again for the advice!!!! I won't worry another bit about the solids and just go with the flow.

I'm glad my words helped. You knew what to do... you just needed someone to tell you your instincts were right on track! We all need that everynow and then.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader