Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: started cereal-what next new foods-question

Default started cereal-what next new foods-question

hi all

ds is 6 months enetred 7 th month.visted ped.he said weight ok but 25 th to 10 th percentile drpped though i was religiously brast feeding till now (ceralonly once or none a day since 5 mnth mmiddle).he said may be due to no baby food.it kinda seems opposite to LLL.academy of pediatrics seem sto insist on baby food.also decreased number of feedings due to solid food/baby has slight eczema-redness in elbows.

given thsi background info, i have following questions...
    Thanks in advance!!!

.i starte pumpinhg and storing some.i may hav eto stop pumping as air travel in 2 weeks and i may get lumps during thos etimes as i am pumping at home no whwne baby doenst fee.di want my breast to naturlaly adjust to the demand and not procude more or less

1.which dish washing detergent safe for babies

2.on flight is there a goo dhand sanitizer or how i wash my hands to kepe clean for baby instead of going to bathroom-which may be occupied-frequqnetly

3.where can i find a nursing necklace.safe for baby .mardigras necklace seems interesting but i am not sure if the paint on them is safe for baby.

4.is there a samp[le feedimg schedule.

5.baby takes rice ceral fine-shud i go for oatmeal ceral-why-is that more nutritious

6.if i cant for some reason breats feed him during take off landing on flight cna he chew on sippy cup or does it hav eto have liquid-to rleive him if ear pressure at that altitude

7.is there a breast pump that i can take to asia to use there with the adapters and electricla connections tehre in case i need to pump there to increase my supply

8.right now ds ( six months, entered 7 th month_ seem sto want to chew on things-probbaly teethcing-i currnetly haveing my period now.

9.is banana ok-i am currbntly feeidng him this.next planning squash and green beans and jucie-may be apple or pear.

10.is a table spoon the bigger of the 2 sppons?doc said give about 2 table spoons cereal to him.

11.his weight has dropped from 25 th to 10 th percebntile.until now limited solids(only once per day rice ceral, all other time nursed him) i gave now doc says may be increase solids.

12.can i mix ceral with his baby food?or ceral tiwce a day with baby food in middle of day?trying to work out a schedule for him.

13.his stool was paste like yesterdya less liquidy like usual.how can i make sure i giv ehim enough liquids tod rink-does it depend on liquidy consistencey that i cna make his solids?

thansk a lot!

Default Re: started cereal-what next new foods-question

You sound very concered about your baby's health and growth. You may find it helpful to track your baby's gains on the new WHO growth charts for breastfed babies: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/ (A good site for converting kg to lbs: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm ) Most Doctors still use charts based on mostly formula fed babies.

Increasing your son's intake of cereal won't help him gain weight, since cereal has less calories than breastmilk and far less fat: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html To help him gain weight, breastfeed as often as he'll take it. Solids are not nutritionally needed and are more for fun and learning during the first year.

I will try to answer some of your questions.

4.is there a samp[le feedimg schedule.
    When ds was 7 mo, his feedings went something like this (each day varried somewhat, of course):

8am - wake up and nurse
    8:30 - self-feeding some Cheerios, maybe a talbespoon of fruit (usually banana)
    10am - nurse
    12noon - nurse
    2pm - nurse
    4pm - nurse
    5:30pm - nurse
    6pm - 2 or 3 tablespoons of veggies (carrots, squash, etc) with a little baby cereal mixed in
    7:30pm - nurse
    8:30pm - nurse to sleep
    11pm - nurse back to sleep
    During the night, he would also wake every 2 hours or so to nurse.

5.baby takes rice ceral fine-shud i go for oatmeal ceral-why-is that more nutritious
    I personally don't see much difference in the nutritional content of the different babycereals. You could try offering him some "real" oatmeal (not baby oatmeal, regular oatmeal), since it is not nearly as processed and still contains natural nutrition. But as far as solids to help weight gain go, avocado is pretty much the only thing that actually has more calories and fat than breastmilk.

6.if i cant for some reason breats feed him during take off landing on flight cna he chew on sippy cup or does it hav eto have liquid-to rleive him if ear pressure at that altitude
    If he's right there with you, why wouldn't you be able to breastfeed him?

7.is there a breast pump that i can take to asia to use there with the adapters and electricla connections tehre in case i need to pump there to increase my supply
    The best way to increase your supply is freqeuent nursing. If you feel you may need to pump as well, I would suggest taking an Avent Isis allong with you; it's affordable, doesn't require electricity since it's manual, and it's the very best manula on the market.

9.is banana ok-i am currbntly feeding him this.next planning squash and green beans and jucie-may be apple or pear.
    Yes, banana is totally ok for a 7 mo. Squash is also a good choice. Ds didn't like green beans until he was much older, but if your baby likes them that's great. I would not recomend juice; it is totally unnessacary and can become a bad habbit to break. He doens't even need any extra water since breastmilk is mostly water, but water is a much healthier habbit to start (if you do offer water, limit it to no more than 2-4 oz in 24 hours). Juice is pretty much just empty calories that will fill him up and displace more nutritious breastmilk.

10.is a table spoon the bigger of the 2 sppons?doc said give about 2 table spoons cereal to him.
    Yes, the tablespoon is bigger than the teaspoon, but you'd get a more acurate measurement with a set of measureing spoons (the kind used for baking). Like I said before, he doesn't need cereal at all, but for his age 2 tablespoons would be a reasonable amount of solids.

11.his weight has dropped from 25 th to 10 th percebntile.until now limited solids(only once per day rice ceral, all other time nursed him) i gave now doc says may be increase solids.
    I don't beleive your Dr is giving out acurate information; increasing solids will not help weightgain, since they could just replace the more fat and calorie dense breastmilk which should remain baby's primary source of nutrtion for the entire first year.

12.can i mix ceral with his baby food?or ceral tiwce a day with baby food in middle of day?trying to work out a schedule for him.
    Yes, you can totally mix cereal with fruts/veggies etc. I wouldn't feed solids more often than twice a day at 7 mo; twice is actually more than enough, but if baby is interested, enjoying the food, and still nursing well, there's no harm.

13.his stool was paste like yesterdya less liquidy like usual.how can i make sure i giv ehim enough liquids tod rink-does it depend on liquidy consistencey that i cna make his solids?
    It is pretty normal for a baby to have firmer stools once he's eating a little solids; so long as the stools aren't hard or dry, it's nothing to worry about. As to liquids, the only liquid he needs is breastmilk, and the more the better. Breastmilk also natrually combats constipation.

Hope this helps!

thansk!
    i looked up kellymom.com for weight gain charts by WHO etc and found that our ds is short of teh minimum weight gain by 10 oucnes.he is udner weight i guess.
    he entered 7 month, current weight is 14 pounds 4 oucnes.
    ia m really confused what wenrt wrong though i am breats feeding and most websites proclaim that breast milk is higher in fat than solids.i introduced solids at fag end of 5 th month,.then why the less weight gain
    what am i doing wrong?
    please advise?
    Thanks

How often is he nursing? Has he decreased his nursing since starting solids?

I think it would be very helpful to you to get in touch with an LLL leader in your area; so many things are better explained over the phone or in person. If you don't already know an LLL leader, here is a link to how to find one near you: http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Hi sa2004,

I just wanted to offer encouragement. I also have a baby who's been a slow gainer. I'll tell you what my doctor said. If your son is steadily gaining weight and meeting his developmental milestones, that's what important. It's not so important where he falls on the charts.