Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to "make" baby food?

Default Do I have to "make" baby food?

OK. So now that DJ has teeth, we would like to slowly introduce some solids. Based on all the research I've done and all I've found here, I've decided against jarred babyfood altogether and am in no hurry to introduce cereals. I would like to start with Sweet potatoes, Bannans and Avacados. MY question is do I have to "make" these things into baby food? I've seen several post here about baby food processors and "making baby food" which I'm down for if it's nessecary...But I've also seen several posts about "skipping" baby food and giving baby soft "finger foods" Do Bannans and Avacados fit into that category? DO any of the 3 foods I'm thinking of starting with need any further "processing" on my part?

Default Re: Do I have to "make" baby food?

You probably don't have to mash those up at all! Here's a trick for bananas. Slice one in half, and then squeeze one of the pieces slightly. The banana will then divide into 3 "spears" that are easy for baby to grasp.

I did puree baby food because I found it was easier for my child to spoon up certain foods rather than chase them around, but I did not stay in the pureed stage long.

you can get a little grinder..http://www.happybabyproducts.com/kidcofoodmill.html
    I have the one that my mom used for me and my brother and its still good.
    I didn't stay in the mashes stage long either. The only thing I did in the grinder was meat. It makes it easy for the baby to chew.
    and I didn't give baby cereal either, we just went to cold cereal (watch the sugar ) And oatmeal is pretty easy to fix.
    Sweet potatoe you can just bake and then mash with a fork.

Nope, totally don't need to "make" anything. Ds loved to take bites right off a whole banana from day one of starting solids. He did drool a bit down the banana, but a little mess is to be expected no matter what you are feeding your baby.

If you bake or steam sweet potato until it's soft enough, baby will probably be able to handle small chunks, especally if he already has some teeth.

I agree with the pp,
    no work required! sweet potato, banana and avo are great first foods.
    how old is your baby? you dont really need to worry about offering solids until baby starts to show an interest in them, ie, reaching for food that you eat, trying to taste food that you eat. many parents find that when baby is ready for solids, there's not much you can do about it but roll with the punches

Yeah i tried to go straight to finger foods - and making the jump from breast milk to finger foods was a bit much - so we chop a little

Can I use Yams instead of sweet potatoes? (Less stringy and in season right now)?

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...eetpotato.html

heres a page about the diffence between sweet potatoes and yams

Talking Re: Do I have to "make" baby food?

i was thinking of getting that "ultimate chopper" on tv. my mum had told me once (well, my mum never tells me anything just once) to start on vegetables, otherwise if he gets fruit 1st, he won't want anything else.

I heard the Magic Bullet is MUCH better than the Ultimate chopper, can't remember who I head that from...maybe it was someone on this forum? It was someone who had owned both.