Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I still Breastfeed?

Question Can I still Breastfeed?

my dtr is 2 weeks old and i started her on formula from the hospital. she is having difficulty with her stomach is it to late to start breastfeeding? i have tried pumping but do not even get an ounce.

Default Re: Can I still Breastfeed?

It is definately not too late to start.
    It can be very difficult, and the help of a good LC can be invaluable.
    pump as often as you can, try to offer the breast before the bottle, even dribbling a bit of milk onto your nipple can help to start.
    try taking herbal supplements to stimulate milk production, like fenugreek capsules 3x daily. there are many great herbal tea formulas available in health food stores for milk production. they usually contain fenugreek and blessed thistle, at least.
    There are some meds you can try to stimulate milk production, but about that you need to talk to an LC or a doctor.
    Good Luck!

It's not too late to breastfeed. You'll have to work at it, and you need to have the right information, the right kind of pump, and a good support system.

There's a board here on "Relactation" -- post your question over there for some been-there-done-that and expert advice.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=50

Your baby is lucky to have a mom who is willing to try breastfeeding! Good luck to you!

--Rebecca

the only reason i didnt start at the hospital was because i had c-section and was on morphine and then on codine i figured the formula would be better since i was all drugged up

Moving this to the relactation board
    Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I am so sorry you were not given the proper information in the hospital. You could have BF your daughter even having had those pain killers in the hospital. I think it is great that you want to do this for dd!

What are your goals? Would you like to bring in a full supply? Would you be ok with some BM and some formula?

Your chances of relactation are very good, but it will take work and dedication on your part. Your daughter is young and you recently delivered so those are positive factors. Do you have a support system? Father of baby, other family members, close friends? Those could help with day-to-day tasks such as laundry, housework, cooking, shopping. Most of your time will be spent pumping/feeding and it is helpful to have someone else to help out for the next several weeks.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html

It would be helpful to work with an LLLL and/or IBCLC (lactation consultant) if possible. I would suggest checking with the hospital you delivered and seeing if they have one on staff. Here is how to find an LLLL: http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html. It would also be helpful to attend LLL meetings when you can, for support as well. You will also find support here.

You would need to stimulate your breasts as often as a newborn would nurse (at least 8-12 times in 24 hours) with a hospital-grade rental pump, and also put baby to breast as often.

You could consider using a supplemental feeding system as the link above mentioned.

You should avoid pacifiers right now. All sucking should be at the breast. This will help your supply come in.

I suggest you try a lot of skin-to-skin contact. Hold baby naked during the day, bathe together, sleep together, hold in sling. Any time baby nurses is great. Even nursing while sleeping is good.

Again, the help of a local LLL and/or IBCLC will be even more valuable than us here, but we are here to help in any way we can. Please let us know if you have more questions. And take care of yourself. Lots of rest, healthy food and drink to thirst.

Good luck!