Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Exclamation 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    DS #2 was born on Dec. 1st at 35 weeks 2 days. After a one week stay in the NICU where we were not allowed to breastfeed we are now home. I'm currently exclusively pumping for him. He refuses the breast each time that I offer - actually can barely get my nipple in his tiny mouth with or w/out the nipple shield. I'm a 42H right now with huge nipples and aerolas. (sp?)

    He is now two weeks old, we've been home for one week and seen a lactation consultant. He refuses the recommended bottle nipple the LC mentioned (second nature) so we're using evenflo bottles (closest to the nicu bottles)

    He's currently taking in 2.5 - 3 ounces of breastmilk (with added neosure) every 3.5-4 hours and I'm waking him to nurse in between feedings around every two hours (except at night) I've tried offering the breast before, during and after the bottle feeds as well with little success.

    I don't have any supply issues. I'm pumping approx every 3 hours during the day... at night I pump for the midnight feeding, skip the middle of the night feeding and pump again first thing in the morning. I'm getting 6 ounces at every session, 9 ounces in the morning session.

    I breastfed my first for 2.5 years and I want to be able to do the same for my second.

    HELP!
    Last edited by Cullens_Girl; December 16th, 2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: grammar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl View Post
    DS #2 was born on Dec. 1st at 35 weeks 2 days. After a one week stay in the NICU where we were not allowed to breastfeed we are now home. I'm currently exclusively pumping for him. He refuses the breast each time that I offer - actually can barely get my nipple in his tiny mouth with or w/out the nipple shield. I'm a 42H right now with huge nipples and aerolas. (sp?)

    He is now two weeks old, we've been home for one week and seen a lactation consultant. He refuses the recommended bottle nipple the LC mentioned (second nature) so we're using evenflo bottles (closest to the nicu bottles)

    He's currently taking in 2.5 - 3 ounces of breastmilk (with added neosure) every 3.5-4 hours and I'm waking him to nurse in between feedings around every two hours (except at night) I've tried offering the breast before, during and after the bottle feeds as well with little success.

    I don't have any supply issues. I'm pumping approx every 3 hours during the day... at night I pump for the midnight feeding, skip the middle of the night feeding and pump again first thing in the morning. I'm getting 6 ounces at every session, 9 ounces in the morning session.

    I breastfed my first for 2.5 years and I want to be able to do the same for my second.

    HELP!
    Don't panic. He still has lots of time to learn to breastfeed (BF) -- and it often takes awhile. He's not even full term yet, so his ability to coordinate suck-swallow-breathe may still be immature. Otherwise, you're doing what is needed to be ready when he is -- you're moving milk regularly and effectively to maintain good milk production. He'll get there. It will simply take practice, persistence, perspective and patience -- not always easy but worthwhile if you can hang in.

    Have you been kangarooing -- placing him in diaper only on your naked chest -- him? I'd highly urge starting off BF "practices" via kangarooing. About 10-30 minutes before an expected feeding, place him skin-to-skin on your chest. (You can put a light blanket or sheet over both of you if in an area with a draft, but your body temp helps him stabilize his body temp as long as there's no clothing/material between his skin and yours.)

    Re: bottle nipples -- another LC and I found a systematic way to test bottle nipple flow rates. There are a couple that appear to have flow rates more compatible with BF oral behaviors than either you've tried so far. (I'll explain why via personal email but don't wish to get into specific products on a public forum.) Bottle-feeding technique can also help or hinder transition to breast.

    Hang in -- it will get better!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Gromada View Post

    Have you been kangarooing -- placing him in diaper only on your naked chest -- him? I'd highly urge starting off BF "practices" via kangarooing. About 10-30 minutes before an expected feeding, place him skin-to-skin on your chest. (You can put a light blanket or sheet over both of you if in an area with a draft, but your body temp helps him stabilize his body temp as long as there's no clothing/material between his skin and yours.)
    We have been doing kagarooing, but not as often as I would like. Mostly at night and early in the morning while DS1 is asleep. I actually think a big part of our problem is the fact that DS1 is always on top of us when we are trying to nurse. He's only just 3 and of course loves HIS baby. LOL

    As far as the bottle feeding goes I'm hoping to find a solution to that soon as the bottles we're using are making him very gassy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    awe I can see how a 3 year old could streess a baby out.!
    Do you have any help? Even a teenage helper to come in after school and hang out with your 3 year old while you nap with baby might be just the two of you need!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    awe I can see how a 3 year old could streess a baby out.!
    Do you have any help? Even a teenage helper to come in after school and hang out with your 3 year old while you nap with baby might be just the two of you need!
    well I had a helper scheduled for January... lol but her mom and I had a baby in the same week so really January is as early as I can get some help over here. lol

    We had some good lying in time over the weekend. I co-slept with my first for a while but Billy is so tiny and in a sleep positioner so I'm not sure how much good that would do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    I'm not sure if I'm repeating. I wanted to stress the importance of skin to skin contact. A nice warm bath with your baby will help. Don't stop trying to put baby to breast, that will help keep it familiar.

    Please update on how it goes!

    Good luck

  7. #7
    @llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    Congrats on your baby!

    My LO was fullterm but very small and underweight. She was only distinguishable from a preemie when you looked up close, she was so small. She was in the NICU for two weeks and like you, we couldn't BF. It took her a long time to learn to latch but it finally happened at 5 weeks.

    I read somewhere that babies can figure out latching on their own somewhere between 4-6 weeks. Don't give up! It will happen! It just may take a while. And a lot of patience. My LO now latches on like a champ.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    thanks everyone for the replies. We're still working at it. Right now he's nursing 1-2 times a day for about 10 minutes each time. It's a start!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!



    Hang in there! Keep offering. You'll get there.

    Do you have local support?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,959

    Default Re: 35 weeker, NICU stay and large breasts OH MY!

    Thats terrific you are nursing even a few times a day! Go little baby GO!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •