Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to BF after exclusively pumping

Default Re: Trying to BF after exclusively pumping

I had the same problem and I'm still working on it. My DS can now BF but I'm still using a nipple shield (my next Project is weaning him off the shield). What bottle are you using? I started with Dr. Brown (slow flow or Level 1) and he could empty it very fast so I switched to the Playtex Nurser (drop in) and it took him a lot longer to finish the bottle. After a few days w/ the new bottle he started to BF only at night in my bed. During the day he would scream every time he saw my breasts. I read we should have a positive attitude and smile while trying even if the baby is screaming and that is what I did for a few days and he finally started to nurse again but not gain much weight so I had to feed him a lot more frequently than what I was feeding with the bottle and also do compressions while feeding (Breast compressions may help: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html), that seems to keep him sucking longer. He is finally associating the breast with food and starting to look happy when I'm about to start nursing and during it also. My next goal is stop using the shield. I've been trying once a day with no success yet. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrose View Post
    The main issue I'm having is getting her to open her mouth wide enough to latch her on. I've tried pulling her chin down a bit after she's on, but she seems to lock her jaw when I do that so I can't move her chin down. T
    With some babies a gentle downward pressure on the chin helps, but with others (such as your own) it backfires. Some physical therapists have said that if you want a muscle to flex in a direction, you apply reverse pressure. So this means try a finger under the chin, closing babies mouth.

Much of your difficulty may resolve itself as her mouth gets larger. Keep up the hard work mama!

We could have been the same person!!! I am doing the same thing as you are right now. I had alot of trouble with my little girl. I was just pumping and feeding a bottle to her. I am now trying to just bf her. She only eats for about 3 min then stops and does the little short choppy sucks. I have flat nipples so I pump for a couple secs to get my let down to start and for my nipples to come out. The couple of secs of pumping will start your let down so that just a little suck from her will start the milk without her haveing to work for it. Try to pump right after she is finished to make sure you are completly empty just for 5 min. Then if she wants more feed her the pumped milk. Well I hope you do well......

Talking Re: Trying to BF after exclusively pumping

Good news! My DD is now breastfeeding almost exclusively. She still gets a bottle every now and then. Mostly for her midnight feeding. She now weighs 12 pounds! That's up 2 1/2 pounds from 1 month ago.

Thank you all for your support and advice. It has been a great help. I'm so happy that I am able to BF her now.

I contacted my Local LLL Leader and she is going to send me the information to attend their next monthly meeting. I can't wait.

Thanks again!

YAY! Good for you guys! It's really great to read a success story on here. I love it when things work out for the best. Congratulations.

When I transitioned baby back to breast from bottle, I had a hard time getting him to really open his mouth, too. I still have to "remind" him to open his mouth wide if he ever has had a bottle. The bottle seems to train baby to not open their mouths.

Could you pump an ounce and put it in a supplementer (like the supplemental nursing system by Medela) that has a tube to put on your breast? The baby can get the instant feedback of milk while it triggers your let-down and it can be a little faster flow than the breast alone. Sometimes they get used to the gush of milk from the bottle. With a bottle, when it is empty, there is no more. With the breast, if you keep on sucking, in a minute, there will be more. But if baby has learned "all gone" baby is not as likely to keep sucking.

Just a few ideas. Keep at it. A few of the other gals and I know that this can take time. Keep up your milk supply. This makes things easier!!! If you stay at it, the joy of nursing will soon come. It does not stay this hard.

By the way, have you seen a LC to evaluate baby's suck? Any chance that baby could be tongue-tied? These things can make it hard for baby to get the milk. So, keep pumping after you nurse to make sure that you keep your milk up until you diagnose the problem.

That's such good news!! Yeah for you!! You've come a long way!

May I ask what your obstacles are in terms of that midnight bottle? Is that something that you want to do, or something that you feel you must do? Let us know how we can continue to support you.

Keep up the good work, mama!

Tiana

Okay, I feel really dumb. I didn't see that there was a "page2" when I posted. Sorry, I was way off. Guess I need to be more careful.

Thumbs up Re: Trying to BF after exclusively pumping

relactatingmomforthelord: Okay, I feel really dumb. I didn't see that there was a "page2" when I posted. Sorry, I was way off. Guess I need to be more careful.
    Don't worry! I understand completely.

LLLTiana: May I ask what your obstacles are in terms of that midnight bottle? Is that something that you want to do, or something that you feel you must do? Let us know how we can continue to support you.
    For now the reason is because I know she'll get a good feed and will get a good sleep. We are actually giving her the midnight bottle less than before. Last night for instance, she BF at about 10:30 p.m. and didn't wake up for another feeding until 5 a.m. I think we got our first sleep through the night as I have read that if they sleep for 6 hours, that can be considered sleeping through the night. In that case, she didn't get her midnight bottle. Which was fine with me. The whole purpose of it for me was make sure she got enough before we went to bed. It may have stemmed from the fact that when I first started BFing her 3 weeks ago, I was worried that she wasn't getting enough. She was still wetting and dirtying her diapers as usual, but I still worried about it. I don't worry about it so much anymore. She gained 2 1/2 pounds in 4 weeks, 3 of those weeks with exclusive BFing. So I'm more confident now that she's getting enough.

I heard from my local leader today and the next meeting is on the 15th. So, I'm looking forward to going. Sounds like fun!

It sounds like you are on the right track. It's great that you have a local LLL leader and are going to attend a meeting soon. Keep us posted!

Tiana