Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of pumping guidance

Default In need of pumping guidance

I am planning to start pumping so I can actually separate from my baby for a little while if I need to. any suggestions on where to begin. I really know very little about pumping. should I pump directly after he's fed, any special time of day best, etc.? Another concern is I don't want to start "over producing." I would like my husband to do one nighttime feeding and then be able to leave the house during the day possibly... and eventually I am going back to work full-time. Basically I need some help with the logistics. Thanks!!

Default Re: In need of pumping guidance

First off, you'll need a good pump. When you go back to work, you'll need a good double electric like the Medela PIS. For now, a good manual like the Avent Isis would work just fine. Stay away from any and all pumps made by Gerber or Evenflow; they are dangerious as they can dammage your nipples.

Pumping first thing in the morning is best, since you'll get more milk at that time sicne your prolactin levels are higher. You can pump one breast as the baby nurses on the other as this will help with the letdown for the pump.

Don't expect to get gallons of milk by pumping. 2 oz is considered an average amount to pump. Remember that the baby is better than any pump and can always get more from the breast and often much, much more.

Other ladies will probably have more advice. HTH!

Dont worry about over production if your baby is drinking all that you pump - essentially, you would be pumping instead of nursing, but the amounts would be the same.

Smile Re: In need of pumping guidance

I find the advent isis very comfortable, i have used it with both my kids. I find pumping at night after she has nursed works best cuz she tends to eat less then so there is more output. Don't expect a lot, during the night I can usually pump 8 oz total. Avent also makes a cup to catch the milk that may leak when you letdown, Good to have if you have leaky breasts useless if you don't. Good Luck

I have a medina electric and I love it! This is the 4th child it's been through and it's still kicking! One of the reasons I like it is because you can go to the website and buy ANY replacement part you might ever need right down to the disks that go in when storing before you put a nipple on. Generally there's more milk in the morning so that's a good consistent time to pump if you want to do it every day. That's what I did for my husbands' daily bottle. ANother way is anytime you miss a feeding (Long nap or back at work away from your child) and you feel the beginning of engorgement coming on (Breasts hardening) and your near a pump, use it, If you get to the point where you have more than three bottles in the fridge start freezing. At home. What you pump during the day at work, you should always drop off with your care provider when you are picking up. If you do that everyday and pump in the morning, you should be providing your DCP with enough! Good luck!

I also have a Medela PIS and feel that it was worth every penny. I went back to work when my DS was 15 weeks and I don't know what I would have done without it! As for oversupply - if you should have some - freeze it! You never know when it will come in handy.... or, you could look into donating any excess to a milk bank. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!