Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply and hyperthyroidism

Question Low supply and hyperthyroidism

I am having low supply in one breast at only 2.5 weeks postpartum. It started 4 days ago. I try to pump to stimulate and also start feedings on the affected side, but so far no luck in getting supply back up. Usually I can only get a few drops from the affected side and little one fusses or falls asleep after a few minutes on that side. Other side seems to be producing well. Is it true that hyperthyroidism can affect milk supply? I am on PTU which is safe for little ones according to my endocrinologist...was on it during pregnancy too. This is my fourth child. First child, no trouble...second had latch-on problems...third child had low milk supply issues... and now this trouble with #4. Any advice?

Default Re: Low supply and hyperthyroidism

To be honest, I dont know anything about hyperthyroidism and supply. but its worth while to persevere with the pumping and beginning feedings on the low-flow side, and you can try taking fenugreek capsules or herbal tea formulated for milk production (from the health food store) to increase supply.
    Otherwise, contact your local LLL leader or an LC.
    Good luck

Hi,

I totally feel your frustration. While I have no solutions, I am here to lend an ear. I had difficulties with my babies too. It seems that those who REALY want to nurse have problems with supply, but those who can take it or leave it get all the milk!

All I can say is hang in there. Try Fenugreek. Contact a LLL.

Hi, I'm sorry I just now saw this. It is crucial you keep your levels monitored. I had my thryoid removed. Yes, it can affect your supply-whether it is hypo or hyper. I was supplementing w/ formula and found out mine was too high-it got regulated and my supply boosted!

I am being seen and monitered by an endocrinologist. My TSH levels were basically nill during my pregnancy so she put me on low levels of PTU as it can cause the baby's thryoid to enlarge. She had to increase the medication alittle over a month ago because my levels were still way off. I can't remember anymore what my T3 and T4 levels were. I go back in a few weeks to have more blood drawn to see what needs to be done next. I am hoping I won't have to have my thyroid removed...have to wait and see. Thanks for you rinput though!