Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about baby cereal

Question question about baby cereal

I just tried baby rice cereal for my 8 1/2 month old, and he burped a couple of times and threw up [not just spit out] a few hours later, with yellow saliva. I waited a week, just breastfeeding him. Then I tried baby oatmeal. He did the same for baby oatmeal. Any one have experience with this? He doesn't spit up usually.
    A couple days later, I gave him bits of peaches, and he was fine. A couple days after that, I tried egg whites, and he did ok. I have never waited this long to start solids, so I am not sure if I "waited too long" or what.

He was exclusively breastfed up to this point. Now, he has also bitten me (see the other thread!), so that was another reason why I wanted to put at least a small servinig of solids in his diet so I can heal.

Thanks, everyone!

Default Re: question about baby cereal

might have been the extra iron in the cereal..
    I would just not try that again for a while.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

Babies often bite when they are teething.

How old is baby? Egg whites are generally recomended for babies older than 12 mo.

babies technically dont need anything other than ebf until 12 months, but if your ds reacts to cereal but is fine with fruit, I wouldnt argue with it. stick to the unprocessed foods like fresh fruits and veg. I agree with the pp, it might be the Iron supplement in the cereal.

Smile Re: question about baby cereal

Ok, thanks. I read that it was ok to do egg whites. He didn't seem bothered by them, just the cereal.