Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick Query

Default Quick Query

I have a question about relactation, and I'm hoping someone here can help! A little background: My baby was born on 11/12/07, and after 2 weeks he was still losing weight, so we had to start giving him high calorie formula to bring his weight up. After a few bottles, he would no longer attempt to bf. He is now a month old, and doing really well with his weight. I ended up not pumping over the last few weeks to keep my milk for a few reasons, one was because of a little bit of depressionand incredibly sore nipples, but mainly because I have 3 other kids, besides the baby. With that many kids to chase after, finding time to pump is close to impossible.

Anyways, to my question. Is it at all possible to relactate by putting the baby to the breast with a SNS, instead of pumping? I've tried getting him to latch on, and he is VERY eager at the breast now, but obviously gets angry because there is no milk coming out. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by LisaFaith; December 16th, 2007 at 12:05 AM.

Default Re: Quick Query

It is possible to relactate without the SNS. The more help you can get with pump, SNS etc, the easier it is!

For example, maybe you could pump 3 times in 24 hours - before bed, when you get up and during your kids' nap? Then maybe use an SNS for a couple feeding?

How long does baby stay interested? If it is for 10 seond or so you could start switch nursing. It won't replace a feeding, but it is very effective for increasing milk supply. Let baby nurse on one side until bored, then switch tot he other, then back, and to the other and keep going as long as baby is happy.

This is how I relactated - around the clock until I was too exhausted and then use a bottle. It was surpriseingly fast, but it's not an option for mommas with other kiddos. It was generally miserable and I really recommend using all the tools you have available to make this go as easily as possible.

Do you have a sling that your baby can nurse in?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    How long does baby stay interested? If it is for 10 seond or so you could start switch nursing. It won't replace a feeding, but it is very effective for increasing milk supply. Let baby nurse on one side until bored, then switch tot he other, then back, and to the other and keep going as long as baby is happy.
    He is only interested for a few seconds. Once he realizes there is no milk, he screams his head off. I'm afraid to force his to try to latch on at this point, because I feel like if he is angry/upset every time he's at the breast, he will associate it with a negative feeling, and not want to ever try to bf, kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    Do you have a sling that your baby can nurse in?
    I don't have a sling yet. I've never used one before. I was thinking of getting a Hotsling. Is that a good one?

Thanks for your help!

I'm a big fan of ring slings, so I am biased!

Hello and ,

Have you checked out the sticky at the top of this forum? It has a lot of great articles about relactation. There are many different approaches to relactation and, as Vanne said, what works for one mother may not work for the next. The key is to use as many tools as possible. If you can, for example, have a friend come over or hire outside help to assist you with caring for your other children, household tasks, etc and focus as much as possible on relactation for a week or two, that would really speed up the process. Since your baby is still quite young, your chances of success are very good. Also, breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Any breastmilk you can provide for your baby will be a benefit to him in so many ways.

We have a babywearing forum if you are interested in finding out which kind of sling would work best for you.

Since your baby will latch, but gets frustrated with the slow milk flow, the SNS might be a great place for you to start.

Keep us posted!!

Tiana

LisaFaith, it is so good to met you! We have a lot in common. I also have four children. Our oldest two sons also came to our family through adoption! (I have 2 six yr olds, 1 four yr old, and the baby.) I had to start supplementing after lack of weight gain and my son stopped taking the breast after the bottle was introduced.

I took a little longer to decide to relactate than you. My son was four months old. I just decided to make pumping a high priority. I pump and play with the kids or do school work or whatever. I just drag it around with me. Once I even pumped while loading the dishwasher. I decided that was too much, but I am known to pump while driving. My children learned the poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas" because we worked on it once or twice a day while mommy pumped!

Anyway, my son is now nursing FT and we are still using the SNS, but mostly he gets mommy milk. I am looking forward to cheering with you as you get your milk up and your boy nursing, too!
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; December 23rd, 2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more

WOW!!!! Pumping while driving? That's dedication! It's nice to "meet" another mom with a similar family structure.