Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: advice baby with cold

Default advice baby with cold

Hi,

Do any of you experienced moms have any advice for caring for a 3 month old with what appears to be a cold. She seems to be choking on mucous and coughing. She can still breastfeed and her nose runs only periodically, but I was hoping for some advice to head this thing off at the pass? Since we exclusively BF and try to use only homeopathic remedies, I am not sure what to do if anything for her cold.

I am afraid she will get too stuffed up to BF and the choking is making me nervous!

TIA for your advice!

Default Re: advice baby with cold

BM is really good for clearing up stuffy noses. Baby saline will help a little too. A humidifier will help LO breath better at night. You can put some peppermint or eucalyptus oil in a bath to help clear nasal passages. Nurse, nurse, nurse! The more BM LO gets the better!

HTH

Default Re: advice baby with cold

Definatly try squirting some saline up her nose and sucking out some boogies. Humidifiers are great too. When dd has a cold I let her hang out in the bathroom while dh and I shower .. we let the bathroom get all steamy. I know you said homeopathic stuff only But I love this stuff called Babyrub. Made by Vicks. its all natural.. no chemicals.. Just eucalyptus and a few other things. Its topical so I jsut massage it into dd back and neck ebfore bed when she has a stuffy nose and it helps clear her nose too.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!