Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can some one explain to me.........

Question can some one explain to me.........

I know that most BF babies will not eat as much as non BF babies, but can some one explain to me how this works.

I assume that my baby’s stomach gets bigger, but the amount of BM will stay the same.
    My family is making me go crazy telling me that I need to feed my LO more and when she reaches 4mo to give her cereal, but I want to try to exclusively feed her with BM until 6mo.

I know that BM becomes more concentrated, but I do not understand how it works, so I am having trouble convincing my family that it is better.

Default Re: can some one explain to me.........

you make more milk to meet babies demands as she gets older if you nurse her more often...
    maybe this will help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

...and, in addition to what Andrea's said, remember that they become more and more efficient in nursing, so equal nursing time does not mean equal milk intake!

The first "card to play" when explaining your point I think might be this:

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

* World Health Organization
    * UNICEF
    * US Department of Health & Human Services
    * American Academy of Pediatrics
    * American Academy of Family Physicians
    * American Dietetic Association
    * Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    * Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    * Health Canada

(quoted from here)

And then, you can go with this:

• Children who were breastfed have I.Q. scores averaging seven to ten points higher than formula-fed infants. It's important to remember that these numbers represent averages for hundreds of children, not the effect of breastfeeding on a specific individual. So, if you want to raise the intelligence level of an entire generation of children, breastfeeding would be a simple and cost-effective way to do it.
    • Studies have shown that children who are breastfed get higher grades in school, even after other influences on school performance are taken into account.
    • The intellectual advantage gained from breastfeeding is greater the longer the baby is breastfed.

(taken here)

Then, of course, you can talk about antibodies and illness protection...

you can find all the detailed info here
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020100.asp
    or here
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

HTH, keep on fighting, it's worth it!!
    Last edited by panzona; December 15th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

sorry, I forgot to say: cereals have less calories than BM and, more important, almost no fats (necessary to your baby's growth, especially the acid fats which are necessary to the brain's growth) (check the figures here if you like).
    So, basically, giving your LO cereals means repleacing nutritious food with NON nutritious food or, in the best case (let's say you ADD the cereals to the normal milk intake) filling her stomach with something not nutritious that will reduce the space for the 'good' stuff...
    in fact, many people nowadays skip cereals alltogether when introducing solids, starting with foods that are significant in nutritional values...
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Question Re: can some one explain to me.........

So!!!! i will produce 8oz of milk one day? My girl friendhas a baby who is 7 mo adn he eats 6-7oz, sometimes more.......

I was not concerned at 1st, when i went back to work i was pumiong 3.5oz 2 -3 times a day, but now i am only producing 2-2.5 per session. i am not pumign enough at work to make up for what sh eis eating.

i have been pumping my breast after every feedign at home to produce more, but nothign seems to eb workign to produce more.

Do you think i should be concerd...i am also eatign 2 bowls of oatmeal a day to help with production.

BF babies tend to eat more often, especially if mom has smaller "storage" capacity. You still make enough to meet their needs, they just might eat 4 oz every 2 hours rather than 8 oz every 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Addy View Post
    I was not concerned at 1st, when i went back to work i was pumiong 3.5oz 2 -3 times a day, but now i am only producing 2-2.5 per session. i am not pumign enough at work to make up for what sh eis eating.

i have been pumping my breast after every feedign at home to produce more, but nothign seems to eb workign to produce more.
    What kind of pump do you have? Some moms have trouble keeping their milk production up with a pump, especially the small consumer models. If you don't already have a hospital-grade pump, you might want to look into renting one and seeing if your production goes up.

Also, how frequently are you pumping at work, and how long are you pumping each time? Some moms find their production decreases if they are not pumping often or long enough- 2 things which can be hard when you're working!

i have a medela double pump. i think it is a hospital grade, but it woudl be from WIC. i am pumping every 2 to 3 hours at work, for about 5-10 miutes after that nothing comes out.

You might want to pump about 10-15 minutes after the first let down to see if you can convince your body to have a second let-down.

I also second the idea of upgrading to a hospital-grade pump.

I have so much respect for you for making breastfeeding work through pumping! I am learning from you and others in case I have to do it again. (I wasn't successful the first time I tried, mostly because I tried to cut corners in length and frequency of pumping sessions.)

What youre pumping isn't a good indication of what baby would get right of the breast, either.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.