Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at night

Default Pumping at night

Baby started sleeping 8 hour nights (FINALLY). I started to pump at night (while he sleeping) to build my stock in the freezer for when I go back to work.
    During the day, he eats every 2.5 hrs. So, I tried pumping every 2.5 hours after he's sleep... well, the next day I had nothing left on me and was exhausted! So I tried pumping twice at night... did not get much the second time. I am down to once at nidnight, yet when I wake up for the first feeding (~ 4 or 5 am) by brests are so full they hurt. Affraid to develop matitis or something by pumping "too little" in the night. But if I pump more, I get no sleep and really can't function the next day.
    How do you handle this? Many thanks.

Default Re: Pumping at night

I think your body will eventually adjust. If you add a new pumping session or stop one, it may take a few days for your body to adjust. If you are trying to stockpile some extra milk, try to pump one side while your little one nurses first thing in the morning.

yup, I was confused by this too, but my body adjusted.

Our bodies really are amazing! My dd is never consistent with her night sleeping pattern. Sometimes she is up every 1.5-2 hours wanting to nurse but last night and the night before she only woke up once in an 8 hour period. Last night I wasn't as full as I was the night before, but I am sure that when dd starts waking every 2 hours again there will be enough to feed her. Its happened before. Your body will figure it out if you want to only wake once to pump--enjoy your sleep! Or, do like the pp said and pump on one side while baby eats on the other first thing in the morning.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes