Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just as we were getting this figured out..

Default Just as we were getting this figured out..

So, just as DS and I were getting bf'ing all figured out and things were going smoothly, he decided to change things up a bit and I need your help!!

DS is 18 days old. He's gained (hold on tight) 1 1/2 pounds since birth (according to his 2 week check up) so I know he's getting plenty to eat and things are going well

Now today, he's got me confused again.

He gives me all the signs he's hungry (rooting, hands in mouth, etc), but when I go to feed him, he latches on and nurses for about 2-3 minutes, then pulls off my breast. I burp him and relatch him, same thing, nurses for a few minutes and then pulls off. I don't have an overactive letdown (that I know of) and haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary, so I don't think my milk is turning him off.

After a bit, I give up trying to feed him and we walk around or rock for awhile, then he starts again with the hunger cues and we do it all over again.

He's been awake most of the day, happy and alert, not fussy. Normally he sleeps quite a bit, but today, no go.

What is going on with this kid?? Is this normal? Do I need to worry about my supply after only 1 day? Should I pump? What do I do?

My main concern is my supply. I don't want it to get all screwy on me. HELP!

Default Re: Just as we were getting this figured out..

This sounds to me like it could just be cluster feeding. Your LO is due for a growth spurt (there's one around the 3 week mark) so will cluster feed to stimulate your breasts and increase your supply. If he is happy and alert I definately wouldn't worry. My DD is on her 3 month growth spurt and feeding every 45 mins or so.

The part that concerns me is he's only feeding 2-3 minutes at a time. He's not even emptying a breast!!

Kids this young should NOT be able to mess with mom

When Owen did this I ended up switch nursing but only because he was a slow gainer and i was worried.

It was a phase- short lived at that.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

my son has been doing the EXACT same thing. im not sure why, but here are some things that ive found that help....
    feeding him when hes sleepy
    switching breasts often through feeding
    breast compression
    kind of what your already doing...taking him off, rocking him a bit, getting him to calm down and relax(and for me to calm down because it gets very frustrating) and then try again.
    also, feeding him more often. every 2 to 2 and a half hours.
    i usually pump if he doesnt eat for more than 10 minutes on each side.
    let me know how it goes and if you come up with any answers!

Oh, I am SO glad to hear I'm not alone on this

He's normally a VERY good eater. Like I said he's gained 1 1/2 pounds since birth!! He was born at 9lb 9oz and now weighs 11lb 2oz..lol

I've been doing breast compressions and whatnot. He almost seems frustrated that milk IS coming out. My milk isn't spraying everywhere and he's not choking on it or anything, but he seems irritated that he's actually GETTING milk.

I ended up pumping last night because I was engorged and I couldn't take it and he wouldn't nurse, so I pumped and froze the milk.

He doesn't get a pacifier or anything, so I'm not sure what's up with this little monkey.

Today, he's been doing the same thing, but sleeping for about 1/2 hour in between. I'm just offering him the breast as he'll take it and putting a big groove in my floor from walking back and forth with him

If he's sucking, even for a few minutes, it'll keep my supply up right? That is what I'm nervous about, I'd hate to end up drying up or messing up my supply.

as ive been trying to figure out what the heck is going on, i found a few interesting pieces of information that may or may not apply to you.
    1. babies have like a sucking need that needs to be filled. so sometimes they just want to suck on something but dont necessarily want the milk that comes with it. you could offer your finger to him or show him his own hand.
    2. some babies will pull away and cry at the breast if they have thrush. i guess it can be pretty painful for them. you can check out the website for more info on it.
    like i said before my lll leader told me to make sure he is eating for at least 10 minutes. if my breasts still feel full i pump. which is sometimes impossible when you are trying to console a miserable baby. you definately dont want to get a plugged duct on top of everything. do you have a lactation consulant in your area that could come watch you nurse?

This happened to us and it lasted till Evan was about 4 months old. Your LO is realizing there is more out there as his range of vision is getting larger. We had good days and bad, just have patience

Oh...and BTW, Welcome to the best forum in the world! It's what has gotten me through the past 10 months!
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Oops! Double post!
    Last edited by josie4; December 16th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.

My little guy went through this. I didn't really do anything that different just kept putting him back on the breast each time he unlatched until he had gotten enough to eat. I would also feed him on the same side for a 2-3 feedings in a row.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, we both had a mild case of thrush. I believe that was a big reason he would pull off, but I think he also wanted to comfort nurse.
    Homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering Mama to Jason (11/6/07).

Baby #2 due in January 2009.