Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much solid food at a time?

Default How much solid food at a time?

We just started our 5 month old son on some mashed bananas. He seems to absolutely love it, but I have no idea how much I'm supposed to allow him to have. We usually only give him it once a day, and usually maybe 1/4 or less of a banana, but he always eats it all. I'll feed it to him about an hour after his last breastfeeding, and then nurse him again about an hour after the banana.

Just curious if I can give him TOO much??

Thanks!
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Default Re: How much solid food at a time?

Yes, it's totally possible to give too much. If he starts nursing less than before he started solids or if his poops get hard and dry, then you know he's eating too much solids. Solids should not begin to replace breastmilk until 11 or 12 mo, as breastmilk should be the primary source of nutrition for the entire first year. Solids are just for fun and learning at this point.

LLL now recomnds in thier FAQ on starting solids that you start with a very small amount of solids (about 1/4 tsp) and very gradually increase the amount. Ds is 14 mo now, but back when we were first starting solids we would offer one tablespoon of food. Eventaully, we upped it to about 1/3 of a jar of babyfood or a couple of talbespoons at a time. I think he was eating 3 "meals" (2-4 tablespoons worth of food at one sitting) a day at about 8 mo when he upped his demand for solids, but I have read that many bf babies aren't eating 3 solid "meals" a day until 12 mo or later.

I had the same exact question! I have just begun giving my DS avacado in the evenings. I noticed his stool now looks like an adult's stool. It is not dry, just "formed". Is this too much? I have been giving him less than 1/4 cup.

Adult like formed stools are normal once baby starts eating solids. Or at least so they tell me...ds is 14 mo, eats 3 meals plus 3 or more snacks of solids and still has mushy pudding-like poop.

Hi
    I also have same question-yesterdya baby had paste liek stool
    also exampls of snacks for babies?
    Thanks