Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frozen milk from different days

Default Frozen milk from different days

Is it okay to mix thawed milk from different days?

Default Re: Frozen milk from different days

Do you mean mixing the milk once it has defrosted and combining it in one bottle for baby? I think it's OK - We've done this quite often with DS who is now 14.5 months old. As far as I can tell, there have been no problems. Of course, sniff each thawed batch first and make sure it seems ok, etc., etc., before combining!
    jsmom

This is probably a stupid question but do you have to cool breastmilk before storing?

If you are planning to be able to use the milk w/in a 4-6 days (some references say as many as 7 days as long as you keep it quite cold), I think it can stay at room temp after you have pumped it for up to something like 6-8 hours. I wouldn't do this unless you plan to use it w/in that time, unless you have no options and can't get it into a refrigerator or cooler-pack. If you can, after you pump, get the milk into a refrigerator or cooler-pack asap. The less air in the storage container with the milk, the better (i.e., if you pump 2 oz and have a small bottle for it, that's better than storing in a 6 or 8 oz bottle - if you have the option!). If you are not going to use the milk w/in 4-6 days, try to get it frozen as soon as you reasonably can. I'm sure there are more precise LLL printed guidelines on all this on the website somewhere.... I'd have to go hunting. But what I've described is the info I've used for the last 14 months - based on working with lactation consultants, etc.
    And, nope...not a stupid question at all!
    Jsmom

Do you mean cool before freezing? Most mothers do, but it's not neccessary.

And you *can* mix previously frozen ebm from different days to feed in one bottle.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

Thanks a bunch for all the info! Its very helpful and appreciated.