Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penga is home! BUT... nursing strike?

Default Penga is home! BUT... nursing strike?

Hooray, Penga is home! We took her home on Tuesday (Dec. 11.) We are extremely happy

We are going through a tough time nursing, though. She started to refuse nursing again. She screams and pulls away from my breast if I try to put her on it in the beginning of the feeding session. Now we give her bottle with 15-20ml of EBM first then breastfeed her. Often she gets tired easily and drifts off to sleep after nursing only one side. I then pump and save what I got for the next feeding.

I kangrooed her for a long time today, and she tries to come down to my breast, and licked and suckled, then sucked for a considerable time (while it took a long time for let-down to happen).

Penga also needs to be held ALL the time. So my husband and I take turns to hold her.

Otherwise, she is doing well. We had our first nurse visit yesterday and found out Penga has gained 4oz in 2 1/2 days since discharge

I feel lost, though. I thought we would be able to breastfeed exclusively once she gets home. I hope the nursing strike is temporary. Is there any mom who experienced it at the time of hospital discharge, and how did you come out of it?????? Help!
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Default Re: Penga is home! BUT... nursing strike?

i don't have any advise just lots of . i'm sooo glad shes home with you guys! i know everything will workout in time. i'm sure shes loving being held all the time. just hang in there a little longer. oh and btw, i'm in torrance too.

I am so happy to hear that Penga is home.

My son was full-term and did the pulling away and screaming thing too. For us it was reflux. Making sure to offer the breast often to avoid that really hungry stage helped. There was one time he slept too long I guess, and woke up so over-hungry that he would not latch. We calmed him by shushing him, getting him to suck on DH's pinky finger, then gently moving him to the nipple.

I have a son that likes to be held and cuddled. In my opinion, after 9 months in the womb, why wouldn't they want to be really close to Mama?

It sounds like shes doing great. Thats a fantastic weight gain.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

OH, YAY! I am so glad baby is home with her mommy and daddy. I have no advice, but I know you have worked hard. I would imagine that baby is distracted by new surroundings? I have never had my kids go on nursing strikes.

Many 's sent your way. Glad she's home
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

My son was full-term and did the pulling away and screaming thing too. For us it was reflux. Making sure to offer the breast often to avoid that really hungry stage helped. There was one time he slept too long I guess, and woke up so over-hungry that he would not latch. We calmed him by shushing him, getting him to suck on DH's pinky finger, then gently moving him to the nipple.
    Penga DOES have reflux. I will try avoiding her getting over-hungry. I noticed that when she is really hungry, she will not go to my breast. Last two feedings, I managed to give her pacifier before guiding her to my breast. She nursed on only one breast, but nursed well. She is producing good amount of peepee, so I will try nursing her often.
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Congratulations on bringing your precious little girl home. After such a long time in the hospital I'm sure you felt the same as we did - nice to have the whole family under one roof. My little Aly had a tough time breastfeeding when I brought her home. She came home on the bottle of EBM. I was so upset that I couldn't nurse her exclusively. However, I never gave up. Keep putting her to breast so that she stays familiar with it and one of these days she will latch and suck like a pro. It wasn't until Aly was 3 months old that she really did well at the breast. For the first three months she was weak and had a terrible time with a solid latch. All of a sudden it was like a light switch. Now it is so nice to be able to nurse her at night with no problems. So my advice is to be consistent. Put her to breast and then bottle feed with EBM. Before you know it she will nurse successfully. I am so happy for you that Penga is home.

awe if she is gaining like that then things might be going beter then you think.
    Do you have any other help that can come in? and take care of everything else so you can just nurse?
    You have to just learn to let that other stuff go and let your hubby take care of it.
    The adjustment is hard!
    But you can do it!
    babies are hard to figure out sometimes too.

I just wanted to say congratulations on having Penga home! You must feel so much better. Have you tried had expressing or pumping a little bit before bringing her to breast to get the milk flowing? After the bottle for so long in the NICU I know my dd was a little miffed by not getting her food instantly. Enjoy her!!

Hi wakawaka! Congrats on bringing your miracle home! Isn't that an amazing feeling?

Although I can't really help with any bf'ing problems you're having, I can relate to your dd needing to be held all the time. When I was finally able to bring my ds3 home (he was in the NICU for 91 days) he was also VERY needy, and had to be held almost at all times. My personal opinion is that once babies go home with their families after a long stay in the NICU, they are somewhat confused by the change in their environment. They need that constant contact as reassurance that everything is okay. So just keep holding her as much as you can. It can be exhausting, but it is so worth it.

Good luck, and once again congratulations!!!!!