Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with milk supply

Default Problems with milk supply

Hi,

My baby is 7 weeks old now. I dont know if this is normal but I think my milk supply is either the same or less. Unfortunately, I had to give him bottle 2weeks ago because I had a painful pimple right next to my nipple which I had to even take antibiotics. My md suggested not to give him that breast and supplement with with pumped milk or formula. It broke my heart!!!

Now my breast is fine but I dont think I have enough; specially At night!!.

Here its my scheduled:

6 am: Breastfeed

9am: pump 3-4 onz and store

11am: BF

1pm: BF

4: BF and I also pump like 1 onz to store

6: BF

8: BF

10: BF

12: BF and suplement with breast milk I pumped in the morning because he gets really desperate with my breast.

Then I bf him when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

What really confuses me is at night that he gets really desperate with my breast and keep sucking really hard and crying to the point that it hurts. I dont think is gas because I give him Mylicon and the behavior does not change.

Please Help I dont want to give him Formula however that though has cross my mind every night he gets like that. He only get quiet and go back to sleep once I supplemented with my 3-4 onz of milk or formula.

Default Re: Problems with milk supply

Eat a bowl of oatmeal at night before bed, it works wonders and almost immediately. After I started eating it I went from barely satisfying my baby to feeding him whenever he wants and being able to pump ~8 oz to freeze. Also, drink tons of water or gatorade.

At what point do you pick him up to feed him at night? I find that if I pick up my LO before he starts crying (I pick him up when he starts consistently stirring) he is not as desperate when he feeds in the middle of the night.

bump
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

It's pretty common for babies to have an evening fussy time. My daughter would start screaming at 7:00 on the dot. She would not nurse, and she would not go to sleep. My husband and I discovered that she needed an evening bottle to help her fall asleep.

We developed a routine. At 7:00, we had the bottle ready to go. As soon as our daughter started acting hungry, I would offer the breast. If she didn't take to it, my husband would feed her the bottle while I pumped the next night's bottle.

Here's my take on what was going on: in the evening, my milk supply was low. Not gone, because that doesn't happen- if you have milk in the a.m., it's there in the evening, too. But I had less milk in the evening than at other times in the day because I was tired and stressed by the time evening came around. So the milk was flowing a lot slower, which was frustrating to my tired baby. She was too tired to eat effectively, especially since my milk was flowing slower than she liked, and too hungry to go to sleep.

Ultimately, my daughter grew out of this fussy period. She started nursing instead of needing the bottle, and falling asleep right after nursing.

So I recommend sticking with what works for now. If you have enough milk during the rest of the day, you probably have enough during the evening, too, and it's just a matter of your baby growing up enough to be able to get it right from the tap instead of needing the easy flow from the bottle. Just make sure you pump every time you miss a feeding, and your milk supply will stay up where it should be.

Hi there

Is that your schedule or is that when your baby typically "demands" to nurse?

It's best to feed your baby on demand, night or day. Are you storing milk because you are going back to work?

Here is an article that can help you determine if your baby is getting enough:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!