Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 months old not using sippy cup

Default Re: 11 months old not using sippy cup

My sil had luck with the straw cups too.
    I think I started with a soft Nuby cup for my ds. He didn't figure out the hard plastic sippies for a while.

DD and I have gone through a BIG journey of trying to find a sippy she'd drink out of. I started at 9 months I think, and got hard-spouted sippies and soft-spouted sippies (both Gerber). I tried drinking out of them myself first, and it was HARD. So I quickly removed the valves and let her try it that way. Like others on here, she found them to be a fun and fancy chew toy and would just bite it over and over.

A friend on another board recommended this to me:

It's a "litterless juice box" by Rubbermaid, and you can get them anywhere. I found mine next to the other plastic food storage stuff at Walmart (mine has the red lid, though). The straw is solid, but the body is not. You know how in a "real" juice box, if you squeeze it even a little bit, the juice all comes out the straw? Well this plastic juice box does the same thing. So I'd put some water in and let her explore the straw, and occasionally squeeze a little bit if she seemed to be trying to suck on it instead of just chewing on it. But she still didn't catch on.

I put the sippies away for a while and would give her water whenever we went out to eat, by holding my thumb over a straw and letting a little water into her mouth from the bottom of the straw. This worked out somewhat well, but of course was VERY time consuming.

Then fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I went home for the holidays, and my mother was intent on giving her some "juice." (Really it was mostly water in a cup with about a tablespoon of juice added.) Mom bought her yet another sippy cup, this time a Nuby, which had an even softer spout than the Gerber soft spout, and it was also valveless already. Mom offered her that cup and she drank a LOT right away, but then "forgot" how to use it.

I finally switched back to the juice box and would give her sips while she was eating her solids. She gradually started to understand how to get the water up the straw, but then would let a LOT of "backwash" back DOWN the straw... and her water would be filled up with "floaties" lol. And now, at nearly 13 months, she is finally consistent with that juice box cup. I had to figure out the best angle to offer it to her, b/c the wrong angle would mean a big dribbly mess. The right angle meant a consistent upward flow of water with minimal "floaties."

All this to say that I don't think my DD was ready for a sippy when I first started to offer it to her. I don't think she was even ready at her first birthday. But... she DID finally figure it out. Yours will, too. The journey is just longer for some than for others. I was worried for a while b/c I am in another online group of women who all have babies the same age, and their kids all took to the sippy WAY earlier than Lydia did. But I just kept telling myself that she would eventually learn to drink from something other than a boob. It was just hard to believe at times.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

My twins wouldn't have anything to do with a sippy until 18 months, then they were all about their sippies. I started introducing one early--like 7 months, but they still didn't want one. My youngest figured his out at around 8 months. I think it just depends. Some babies take longer than others.

I had the same problem... around 10 months, my son would refuse the bottle, NEVER took a sippy cup, and now he only drinks from a regular cup and a cup with a straw...
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

My ds is almost 6 mo and loves his Nuby sippy cup. He can't use the hard spout ones, but the Nuby I have is a silicone spout. He gets really wet when he uses it, but it is mostly just for fun. If he has a good hold on it he can get it in his mouth properly.

I guess it just has to do with the individual child.

Quote Originally Posted by drabo View Post
    My ds is almost 6 mo and loves his Nuby sippy cup. He can't use the hard spout ones, but the Nuby I have is a silicone spout. He gets really wet when he uses it, but it is mostly just for fun. If he has a good hold on it he can get it in his mouth properly.

I guess it just has to do with the individual child.
    I bought sao many diff cups and my son never took to it
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Thank you for your feedback!