Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 months old not using sippy cup

Default 11 months old not using sippy cup

I offer the sippy cup at least once a day to get my LO used to drinking out of the cup, but she doesn't quit get it. She rather play with it.

I'm sure she'll learn in time, but should I push her more?

Default Re: 11 months old not using sippy cup

does it have a value?
    sometimes if you take that out they figure it out.
    Good luck!

I'm having the exact same problem. She takes only my breasts, no bottle, no pacifier, no sippy! :S My best friend told me to try giving her the sippy with no valve when we eat and another one with the valve on just for her to play around. As of now she just bites it, I hope she will learn soon.

Good Luck!

there are other options like straw cups or just plain old cups that you could try. if you use a regular cup just use a tiny bit of liquid, and she will get wet!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

My daughter is 10 month old and she doesn't like the sippy cup and she throws on the flow when I offer it to her. She does love it when I offer her just a plain cup to drink out of. I do still try to offer a sippy cup every once and a while but I don't push it.

i use the born free kind which doesn't have a valve and flows eaily, but I may just attempt the cup. The sippy cuppy however would be best so she drink mik out of it in time.

I introduced a sippy to my lo at around 7 mo with water. He didn't understand how to use it until I took out the valve. Once he knew water was in there I put it back in and then he started sucking on it.

Nah. She'll figure it out in her own time. What's to be gained by pushing it? She might just resist more. Good luck!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm having the same issue w/ my 10 mo -- no sippy, cup, bottle, or anything! Just the breast, but I'm starting to worry b/c after the first of the year, I'm going to have to be working away from home from time to time, and I'm not sure if she'll take milk from another source! I guess I'll just have to just offer and see too...

My DD (now 2.5) wouldn't take a bottle and sippy's were a bust for her (and I wasn't brave enough to give her a regular cup.)

But straw cups worked like a charm. I'd heard somewhere that BF babies do better with straw cups, so I bought one and it worked great!

I've been trying to give DS a sippy (7.5 mos) so he gets used to it and it was just a fancy teether. Today I remembered that old straw cup and DING! he got it right away. And drank a ton of water

I really like Gerber's soft straw cups that I got at the grocery store, but they stopped making them (I tried to get replacement straws). I'll be looking for a replacement for it...