Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I've given up...

Default I've given up...

SO my little one is just over a month old... She never did get into nursing.. So i started pumping all the time to supply her the milk she needed....

She refused breast milk as well... I started pulling all my food from my diet and started with the basics... she still refused breast milk...

I don't know what else to do.. I have given in and given her formula in a bottle cause nothing else was working and she wouldn't nurse or take breast milk... I blame all of this on the hospital not having anyone there to help at the very start....

I am going to have to remember this the next time (if there is a next time) and get something lined up for help when I deliever.

Default Re: I've given up...

I'm so sorry that you are having difficulties. I know what you are feeling though. I wish I could go back in time and do things differntly from the start. Try to not *beat yourself up*. Enjoy your baby, that's the most important thing.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You tried everything you could to get your baby to take your milk. You are a wonderful mom, enjoy your baby...they really do grow up fast.
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Did you try LLL? You might still have a chance to make this work. If not you tried your best, learned from this experience and enjoy your baby.

Hi,
    I am so sorry you are having such a hard time, it is very frustrating I know. My son is 8 weeks today and I know that getting started BF'ing can be a rocky road to say the least. There is such a huge learning curve for the baby & mom that I know I didn't expect and I'm sure most other mom's don't expect it either. First of all, don't be so hard on yourself, you've just created a human being! Now, I do want to ask are you sure you want to "give up" BF'ing? Maybe that's why you wrote here, because you were feeling like you must give up because there is no other choice. I remember sitting on the couch with my DH at about 10 days after the baby was born with tears streaming down my face, milk stains on my shirt and a screaming baby in my arms saying "I'm just giving up this is just too hard." He said, "Just try it one more time, one more day". Thats when I realized (well, really the next day once I had some sleep & had calmed down), that this BF'ing thing for me was just a one day at a time kind of deal. And I've been doing it one day at a time for 8 weeks now. So what if the baby has had some formula, if you want to BF tonight or tomorrow I say do it. It is the most satisfying feeling in that I have ever known, to nurse my little baby boy. Sometimes it is the most exsaperating feeling I have ever known too, but the good always outweighs the bad. Write back & let us know how you are doing. There is lots of advice on this site, and much needed support.

I, too, gave up b'feeding my first child. Don't get depressed. You are not a bad mommy. The object is to feed & take care of your baby & that's what you're doing. Enjoy your baby, no matter what!