Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning age

Default Weaning age

Whats the earliest time you can wean. My baby is 8 and a half 7 weeks prem and is losing interest in her milk. Is this an ok age to wean or too too early. B.

Default Re: Weaning age

I don't think there is an earliest time to wean. It's recommended to nurse at least 1 year from some sources, at least 2 from others.
    I think weaning should be a choice that you and your child make together.
    If she's ready and so are you, I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

Of course my lo is nearly 3 and still nursing strong! But its up to you.

Babies do not self-wean prior to 2 years of age. They still need a full-fat milk at that age, so you would have to put her on formula. I'm guessing she's already getting bottles and developing a preference for them? Definitely too young to do just solids. Please clarify/give some more details.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by belly-ice View Post
    Whats the earliest time you can wean. My baby is 8 and a half 7 weeks prem and is losing interest in her milk. Is this an ok age to wean or too too early. B.
    Your baby is 8 weeks or 8 months? Could you tell us a bit more about your situation? How often is baby nursing now? And could you please describe what you mean by losing interest?

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Babies do not self-wean prior to 2 years of age.
    That is not accurate. The fact is that it is not considered self-weaning if a baby stops nursing before 12 months of age--until then, refusal to nurse is considered a nursing strike. Some babies do self-wean before two years. It's not as common as self-weaning beyond two years, but it does happen!

That is not accurate. The fact is that it is not considered self-weaning if a baby stops nursing before 12 months of age--until then, refusal to nurse is considered a nursing strike. Some babies do self-wean before two years. It's not as common as self-weaning beyond two years, but it does happen!
    Um, I read it somewhere. See if I can find it...

I did find this:
    "In societies where children are allowed to nurse 'as long as they want,' they usually self-wean, with no arguments or emotional trauma, between three and four years of age ... The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is two and a half years, with a maximum of seven years." -- Katherine Dettwyler, PhD, Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition at Texas A&M University, and author of "Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives."

When I googled "minimum natural age of weaning", at least the first 2 pages of links all cited ages of between 2 and 2.5 as the minimum age that a human child would self-wean (ie, naturally, without any outside interference).
    Last edited by healthymama; December 14th, 2007 at 03:44 PM.