Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

Default Re: Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

My son is 4 months old and 14 lbs. We never co-slept. He has always slept in his bassinet. I could get him to sleep by doing the same routine every night, then putting him in his bed. I did the CIO method, but it only took one night. I did it when he was about 8 weeks old I think (can't remember the exact age). I would wake him to eat at 10pm, then he would only wake us once a night & I would have to wake him between 6:30-7am the next day. For the past few weeks, he would wake to eat, and then he wouldn't be hungry for his 7am meal. So I started just putting the paci back in his mouth in the middle of the night when he woke. He fell right back to sleep, not hungry at all. I've read that babies just kind of get used to waking up at night. It's not so much that they're hungry, but they do it out of habit. I completely agree with that. Like jlk51496 said, if my son spits the paci out quickly, then I know he's hungry. But he hasn't done that at all at night. So I'm guessing that it's just a habit to wake. Also, since you co-sleep, I read somewhere (it may have even been on this board) that babies wake up naturally and go back to sleep throughout the entire night (we all do, but we're just used to it). It's really hard to go back to sleep when there's a 24-hour diner sleeping right next to you! HA! It's true. If I lived in a bakery, then I'd be up all hours of the night too.

Mommy to Clayton Christopher born 8-18-07. And our new addition, Porter Lee born 12-10-08!
    Wife to Jeremy since 4-23-05

Dove Chocolate Discoveries
    Independent Chocolatier # 6740
    MoreChocolatesPlease@gmail.com

I actually just went through a very similar situation. I was putting my LO down after he fell asleep nursing into his crib. When he woke up usually 1-3 hrs after I would take him back to bed with me and he would nurse on and off all night. At least this way we both got a little rest. But to be honest, I was starting to miss my husband after 2 months and decided to first night wean then move him to crib full time. So I forced myself to stay awake and do this for about two weeks:
    I should preface that the Dr. suggested that when I did do the feedings that I sat up in another room so that the LO gets the idea that this is more of a "get it done" transaction because why would any baby give up the comfort nursing if it was always around. And I did it until I felt the time was right. If you have the stamina I say that's awesome, but I didn't. I was too tired to go in another room but did sit up in bed so it wasn't like just letting him fall asleep latched. First wake up nurse him for 8 min per side. Then he would usually fall back asleep but then I would vow not to nurse until another 3 hrs had passed. I would hold him and distract him. A few times he whimpered but he caught on really quickly.
    Then 2-3 nights later I upped the time to 3.5 hrs and the minutes down to 6 per side.

I should mention that during this time I started to put him to bed in the car seat (in the stroller) in his room so he could get more used to the enviro. He had always slept better in there and I knew it was short term so no harm was being done to him.

Eventually when we got to the 4.5 hr point he went 6 hrs so I thought OK its time for the crib. I had also checked with the Dr. and she agreed that his weight was fine to go longer w/out bf at night.

I did my own version of CIO "Light;" First night he cried on and off and I went in at intervals, (first 5 min, then 10 min, etc but you can increase by one min if you like --whatever you are comfortable with) picked him up and put him back down when he was calm. Lots of hugs and kisses and "I love you's" This went on for 2 hrs. I had made up my mind that if he awoke and 6 hrs had passed I would feed him --even tho the Dr. said it wasn't necessary. That night he slept for 4 hrs then woke up and nursed and it took another hour to fall back asleep but he slept for 6 hrs.

However, the following night things went considerably better only 45 min the first time, slept for 6 hrs woke up nursed 4-5 min per side then it took 30 min and back to sleep for another 6.

Third night was 30 min first time 20 min second time.

Tonight was night 5 and he fell asleep in 5 minutes.

And he is so happy and rested when he wakes up. So am I

Hope this helps!!!!

Proud 40 yo first time mom, babywearer and wife all within the last year!!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by akramer; December 16th, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add

We've just started working on getting DS to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time during hte night. We partially co-sleep. He goes down to sleep and is put in his crib around 10ish and sleeps in there until he wakes up then comes to bed with us. Before it was only 10-12 now he's starting to go until 2. We've been using this method: http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of putting her to sleep in her carseat in her bedroom before putting her in her crib. She sleeps well in her carseat so that will probably be less harsh for her.

We are going to start trying to do all of this after we get back from my inlaws after Christmas. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

Hope some of the stuff works for you. I believe that as BF Mommies, we are really in tune with our beloved offspring; that said you will know when the time is right and how to approach things.

Upon my first try I was not following my heart (just the influence of others that we often let get to us) and tried to do everything in one night. The next day my always good spirited DS was so unhappy. So I decided to pull back and go back to listening to my heart. And last night was under 5 min. and he slept from 7:45 to 5:15. Woke up nursed and back to bed without protest til 7:15.

Good idea to wait until you get home from the Holidays. Please write if you need any moral support when you do decide!! I had been traveling and did the same.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

The only way to try to leave him sleeping. If he is waking up. to give some water or something.
    see my kid at: King Shlomo