Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

Default Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

My DD is 8 1/2 months old and is still waking up every 2 hours to nurse at night. I co-sleep with her so I am thinking that she is just using me as a pacifier at this point. How do you know that they don't need to nurse at night for the calories anymore? I want to start weaning her at night so that I can move her into her own bedroom soon. Any suggestions or information on weaning from night time nursings? She is 16 pounds 3 ounces....is this big enough to be able to get through the night?

Default Re: Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

We co-slept with our son til about 6 months and he was a frequent waker. Then we moved him to his crib. He still woke often, but it just has slowly gotten to be less and less wakings. He's 8 months old now and he usually wakes once a night, but sometimes 2x's times in the night. So, my advice to you would be for you to move her to her crib (if that's what you want to do) first and see how much she wakes during the night. Give it a week. If it's not working, you can always go back. Definitely put your significant other on night duty to bring the baby into the bedroom and move her again after she's done. Good luck.

I have been curious about that as well. Kayleigh co slept but she was getting up so much and playing, I moved her to her crib and last night she only got up 2 times to actually nurse not play and when she was done I'd put her back in her crib or otherwise she'd start playing. I am sad to see our co sleeping days end. Kayleigh is 11 months and 13lbs 3oz and I was advised by her pediatrician NOT to cut out her night time feedings, as she's really tiny and needs the extra calories. What does your babys pediatrician say? I really don't know what a 8.5 month old should weigh, so I can't say if she is big enough or not.

I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I use the pacifier - since I have, I have gotten her to sleep through the night. My lo knows the difference and when she gets the pacifier i think it puts her in a deeper sleep and she sleeps 7-8 hours every night! (usually 10pm to 5-6 am ) It eventually falls out when she gets into that deep sleep, sometimes she wakes up, mostly she doesnt. Even when she wakes up in the morning anywhere from 5-630am i give the paci first, if she falls back to sleep i run back to my bed as well (like my snooze alam ). and she is usually up 15-20-30 minutes later. If she still cries and spits it out right away I know she is hungry and I bring her into my bed with me to feed her, but I try to make it a habit for her to not come to bed with me until the sun is up (closer to the 630 mark)

This is just how I do it. figured Id share
    Good luck
    -Katie
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

How did you transfer your children into their own crib? Did you do the cry-it-out method or do you have another way? I am asking because every time I put my DD into her crib she screams until I pick her back up and bring her back into my bed.

A lot of people have read the no-cry sleep solution w/ success. I have it and it has a lot of good of ideas that i am begining to implement. But no other advice, I'm in the same boat!

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by alexish5 View Post
    How did you transfer your children into their own crib? Did you do the cry-it-out method or do you have another way? I am asking because every time I put my DD into her crib she screams until I pick her back up and bring her back into my bed.
    We decided to try and get Jack into his own crib in his own room at about 5 and a half months. We didn't do true CIO, we couldn't have done that. We did a sort of halfway house CIO. We were there in the room with him, hugging him, comforting him and stuff, just not picking him up unless we had to. It definitely worked. I knew how long he would go before he would be truly hungry, and I brought him into our bed to nurse then put him back in his crib. Sometimes he stays there, sometimes not. If it's past about 5, I tend to just keep him with me and he will sleep and snuggle a bit longer.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I find I have more success if I dont put her in there awake. I get her to fall asleep in my arms (on the rocking chair, or downstairs on the couch, or even walking around) Then transfer her! If she wakes up, I stand over her but dont pick her up, I rub her belly or face, until she gets sleepy again! I only pick her up as a LAST resort, when she is screaming LOUD!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Talking Re: Need Help: How to Wean from Night Feedings

Quote Originally Posted by alexish5 View Post
    I actually used the Sleep Sense program...a softer approach to the cry it out method...worked wonderfully...she was sleeping 11 hours a night!!!then the teeth came in...we started at 5 months after co-sleeping got too crowded and I became a human pacifier! She did well until about 6 1/2 months when teething began. She is now waking 2 times a night , but nurses and then goes back down. She also takes 2 naps a day for about 1 1/2 hours...in the crib...love being able to have my side of the bed back!
    You can find the Sleep Sense program online...worth the 50 bucks and a little work in the beginning will make for wonderful nights of sleep for everyone in the house!
    Good luck!

I would nurse him all the way to sleep and then put him down. If he would finish nursing and not be asleep, I'd put him down, turn on his mobile and walk out. If he cried (which he always did in the beginning), I'd soothe him however I could. If he fell asleep, fine, if not I'd put him back down to sleep awake and try again. We're not CIOers. And, then suddenly, lately he just started not fussing when I put him down and I'd watch him on the video monitors and he roll around a little and put himself to sleep. Now about half the time he puts himself to sleep and half of the time I put him to sleep.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07