Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to re-lactate, baby not latching on!!!

Default Trying to re-lactate, baby not latching on!!!

My son is now 6 months old and I so very much want to breast feed him again. I ebf him for the first 6 weeks. At about 3 -4 weeks my son developed bloody stools and colic. I was told that the baby was allergic to my milk...yes ALLERGIC!!!! It has to do with the dairy protein and for some reason I do not break it down properly in my body and therefor my little babies can't digest it properly. My oldest had the same exact reaction to my milk. I went on the crappy "no dairy desperation diet" with both, but with my second son I just couldn't keep up with the diet and I stopped breast feeding him at 6 weeks. Plus I had been on the diet for almost 3 weeks and still he was in so much pain and cried a lot.

I regretted it so much and for weeks after I pumped hoping that I would be able to bf him again once he got a little older. I knew he would grow out of it, my 1st son did. But eventually my supply decreased and I just got so overwhelmed with constant pumping. So I let my milk dry up. I cried a lot and every time even to this day when I give him formula I feel like I am giving him poison.

I have recently decided to begin re-lactating. I purchased the lact-aid nursing supplementer and my little guy will not latch on. He cries and fusses at the breast. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help him remember latching on. He was such a natural in the beginning!!!

The second thing is how do I get my body to start making milk. I have been pumping every 4-5 hours or whenever I have time. I am eating oatmeal and drinking lots of water. So far I get tiny sticky drops every now and then. It has been only 3 days, is it normal not to have more milk by now. (by the way when I did ebf I had so much milk, it was actually too much!) My let down is very strong too, but I haven't felt one yet, is this normal or is it too late to begin bf again. I really want to and I am determined. Please let me know how long this should take. I would love any suggestions.

Default Re: Trying to re-lactate, baby not latching on!!!

Relactating takes a very long time, but it does happen. I relactated from nothing, and now am only using about 6 oz of formula a day.

I would increase your pumping. Can you pump for 5 minutes every hour that you are awake and at least every 4 hours at night? If not try to do it at least every two hours. Since you don't have milk coming, yet, you don't have to wash all your pumping kit. And yes, it is very normal. Try wiping off the drops and see if more don't appear. You can just pump and leave the kit for the next time. When you get milk coming, you only have to wash every ~4-5 hours.

Read the stickies on this forum to get lots of ideas on how this works. It will happen with lots of patience, perseverence and dedication. Keep us posted.

Most of us seem to be able to get our LOs to latch afted we have increased our milk substancially. Read the other messages in this forum to get ideas on latching.
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; December 13th, 2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: more

Hi terrigirl21!

I'm relactating too. My baby also refuses to latch even with the SNS! I went from almost nothing to 3.5 ounces! As stressful and time consuming as this has been, I can't give up yet because I've seen slight progress.

I would suggest you pump much more often if you can. Breastmilk is (as you probably already know) is a supply and demand thing. So the more you tell your body that you need milk to be produced, it will signal for your body to make it. It's a slow process but it does work.

Oatmeal and water are a great start too...other moms have found success with fenugreek and even prescription drugs. I have to say that those things are nothing without the constant pumping though.

This article might help too:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...east.html#coax

Best of luck! Feel free to come here for support anytime.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am going to start a pumping schedule and make sure I pump atleast every 2 hours. I will keep you posted.

You should read a_hex's threads titled Down to Less than an ounce, and baby still won't latch. Maybe if they don't help, they'll give you HOPE!

Update?!