Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone start a new job while pumping for a 1 yr old?

Question Anyone start a new job while pumping for a 1 yr old?

Hello! I'm interviewing for a new job on Monday and I really want it. I don't plan to bring up pumping until after I'd start, of course, but am wondering when others brought it up. I'm also a bit worried because my son will be over a year old when I'd start and I've noticed a bias against supporting bfing beyond one year at my current job (and among my immediate family, but that's another story!). I think I'd only need to pump once a day, but it takes me over a half-hour (I get 8 oz, just slowly). Your advice and experiences are appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Default Re: Anyone start a new job while pumping for a 1 yr old?

I asked about 3 days into the job. I noticed that the manager seemed really friendly and chilled out. She was immediately supportive and said i was welcome to use the medical room as it had a lock and would be nice and private for me. *though i havent picked up the courage to express at work yet - silly me*

Default Re: Anyone start a new job while pumping for a 1 yr old?

You should get a lunch break at work right? If there's not a place inside your place of business you can pump, you could always get one of the Medela pumps with a car adapter and do it in the car. If you buy a demi bra, it can help hold the pump so your hands are free so you can eat lunch while pumping at the same time. My boss is really understanding about it (she breastfed her son until he was 18 months. I work in a hotel, so it's easy for me to pump because I can use a room if I have to I think the car solution might work if they don't seem supportive since you only have to pump once a day. Good Luck!