Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your pumping output?

Question What's your pumping output?

Hi Everyone, I'm just interested to find out how much working mothers are pumping per day. I would really appreciate your responses My baby is 5.5 mos. old and I've been back at work for a month now. I noticed a drop in my supply this week so I'm just curious where everyone else stands....!

Me: pumping 3X/day every 3 hrs, yield 2-4oz per session

Default Re: What's your pumping output?

I pump every three hours at work, yielding 2.5-4 ounces each session. I also pump one ounce before each feeding when I'm at home (because I can't pump as much as DS (age 10 weeks) eats when I'm at work).

I can only pump 2-3 ounces per session at work. This is a problem because my LO takes 4 ounce bottles. To compensate, I pump in the morning either after or during a feeding. I am only in the office 3 days a week, so I'm able to get enough EBM this way.

My LO is going to be 5 months old on Monday.

I am fortunate in this regard. I pump 2x (every 4 hours) and get at least 8-10 oz each time. My son is 8 months and refuses the bottle at daycare, so only drinks a little from the cup (and nurses constantly at home)

I pump 3x at work, usually every 3 hours. The amount varies per session (morning yielding the most and the 3rd session yielding the least). I usually take home 18-20 oz., but it can range from (16-22 oz.) per day.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

DS is now 14 months old. At this point, I pump 2x per day while at work and get - if I'm having a good day - 2-3 oz per session. I try to come home with 5 oz milk per day since that is what he is drinking (combined now with cow milk) when I'm not there. Back in the early days (months 4-6 or so), I was pumping 3x per day and getting 6-8 oz per session!
    Starting to think about cutting down to 1x per day, but worry about that meaning alot less milk... how long does everyone intend to keep pumping??
    Jsmom

Hi everyone,

I used to pump three times a day at work and just started cutting back to two times. My output is about 16 ounces a day, and my DS is 8 1/2 months old. Right now he drinks 12-16 ounces per day at daycare, so I am generating a pretty good surplus.

Jsmom, I am so impressed you still pump. I am constantly scheming about when I can hang up the pump, so to speak. I think I'll stop pumping in September, when the next academic year starts and DS will be one.

have a good day, everyone!

When I was working full-time when my dd was a baby, I found that 4oz total was a really good pumping session. I pumped mid-morning, went on my lunch hour to nurse my baby, and pumped mid-afternoon. (The lunch break was great!)

If there are concerns about pumping enough for baby's needs, consider using the Kassing bottlefeeding technique, which you can read about here:
    www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf This can help determine how much milk the baby is *really* taking at a feeding (with a bottle, not the breast!) Keep in mind that most babies have a strong sucking need, and it's possible that caregivers may misinterpret a need to suck with a need for more milk. If baby has unrestricted access to you when you are together, your baby should be getting enough milk.

Sorry to veer off of amounts pumped.... My experience is that when moms ask how much women can pump, the next/unasked question is "how can I know I'm pumping enough for my baby?"

Dawn

I have been pumping 3-4x/day since dd was 6 weeks old (she is now 9 months) my normal output is 2.5-4 oz @ each session. For the longest time I was convinced I had a supply problem, but then an LLL leader pointed out that id DD was satisfied after nursing and was going weight it probably wasn't a supply issue. I honestly figured that the amount I pumped would increase as she got older, but it hasn't and see it still satisfied after nursing when we are together. Although once she started solids it took off lots of pressure to pump more milk. But I am also very lucky in that my sister lives close by and she is nursing her dd who is only 7 weeks younger than mine and she has an oversupply so I have always been able to rely on her for extra ebm when I didn't have enough, in fact I am going to see her this weekend to restock my freezer supply of milk (the bags may say mother's milk is best, but DD thinks aunt's milk is great too!)

Also I intend to keep pumping until I quit BFing (which has no set date/age, only a goal of at least 3 years), I just haven't told my boss yet! (Of course I will probably go down to only 2x per day once she is 1 and down to once a day when she is 2)
    Last edited by amandalynn; June 9th, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Trisha, I *so* want to be done pumping at work by the fall as well! The course I teach in that quarter is on the campus location across town from where my office and lab are located and it just makes it so hard and stressful. I hear you on that! I won't miss the pump, that's for sure. I think everyone who finds a way to do this and keep it going for their babe has real dedication!
    Jsmom