Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Hlp for my sister, baby is 3 days old

Default Need Hlp for my sister, baby is 3 days old

and she will latch, suck for a minute and pull off. My sister has started supplementing a little because when she called to ask the LC about her problems, she told her to supplement because the baby had to eat every 4 hours not matter what. She was born at 8 pounds 10 ounces, and yesterday she was 8 pounds 6 ounces.

She has only had 2 wet diapers today, she won't really drink the formula either.
    They have a ped appt tomorrow, and an appointment with an LC.

I told her to just keep latching her on, even when she stops sucking, re latch her. I think my sis is getting discouraged though, and I don't know how to help.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Default Re: Need Hlp for my sister, baby is 3 days old

Stupid LC

okay - I vented.

now -is that 2 disposables? is her milk in - is she engorged? Why the pedi appt. already - because of the lack of pee? Is there a tounge tie issue?

Does she have the LLL #?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Stupid LC

okay - I vented.

now -is that 2 disposables? is her milk in - is she engorged? Why the pedi appt. already - because of the lack of pee? Is there a tounge tie issue?

Does she have the LLL #?
    2 sposies

No tongue tie issue

the ped appointment is her 4 day check up, pretty standard around here.

I got her the LLL number.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't babies supposed to get one additional diaper per day, until day five? So at three days= 3 diapers? Two isn't far off. Has your sister hand expressed any colostrum? Do you hear any swallowing? what position is baby nursing in? What sort of birth did she have? Any complications?

It is normal for babies to lose weight from their original birth weight.

If the birth was in any way traumatic for mama or baby, baby might need some comforting skin to skin contact. It would do both of them good regardless of the type of birth really. Have your sister strip her neonate down to bare skin and place baby on her chest. Tell her to avoid putting on deodorants or funny smelling perfumed clothes or hair products. Baby needs the reassuring smell of mama. A quiet darkened room, with mama's warm skin could calm baby down enough to latch properly. Have your sister prime her breast- squeeze out a bit of milk onto the nipple. Newborns have a very good sense of smell.

I have done some reading that suggests that placing a hand on the baby of the babies neck makes them startle, check your sisters hand placement, and gently correct to cupping the head.

Some further research states that pressure on a newborns palm encourages the baby to suck.

Oh my, so the baby lost 4 ounces!! My son was born 8lbs 3oz and by the time we left the hospital (2 1/2 days)he was down to 7lbs 10oz. Babies are expected to lose up to 10 % of their birth wieght in the first few days. As long as they regain it in the first 3 weeks everything is fine. Are the diapers damp or soaked? Maybe she could try some nursery water? But after nursing so the LO doesn't fill up on it!
    Last edited by kayden's mama; December 12th, 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks carpentergirl. I told her to express the colostrum, hopefully that will help. Yes, the baby's weight is good, so hopefully that will stay the same. My sister is only 19, and she is scared, so I'm trying to be as supportive as possible. Thanks again girls!
    Last edited by henrysmama; December 12th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

You could give her links for a puter when she gets home. Dr. Jack Newman is a huge bf advocate and specializes in breastfeeding. He has lots of free videos to view on his website: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html#Video%20Clips

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    You could give her links for a puter when she gets home. Dr. Jack Newman is a huge bf advocate and specializes in breastfeeding. He has lots of free videos to view on his website: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html#Video%20Clips
    She is home, but they don't have internet. Thanks for the link, maybe I will watch it and report back to her.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't babies supposed to get one additional diaper per day, until day five? So at three days= 3 diapers? Two isn't far off. Has your sister hand expressed any colostrum? Do you hear any swallowing? what position is baby nursing in? What sort of birth did she have? Any complications?

It is normal for babies to lose weight from their original birth weight.

If the birth was in any way traumatic for mama or baby, baby might need some comforting skin to skin contact. It would do both of them good regardless of the type of birth really. Have your sister strip her neonate down to bare skin and place baby on her chest. Tell her to avoid putting on deodorants or funny smelling perfumed clothes or hair products. Baby needs the reassuring smell of mama. A quiet darkened room, with mama's warm skin could calm baby down enough to latch properly. Have your sister prime her breast- squeeze out a bit of milk onto the nipple. Newborns have a very good sense of smell.

I have done some reading that suggests that placing a hand on the baby of the babies neck makes them startle, check your sisters hand placement, and gently correct to cupping the head.

Some further research states that pressure on a newborns palm encourages the baby to suck.
    Yes - that diaper per day is where I was going with part of my screwy line of questions ... And the proper hand placement Serena mentioned is a great point...

hope the pedi is supportive - let us know how it goes
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

tell your sister, sometimes babies need to learn how to bf and so does a first time mom. some moms get lucky and the baby know what they are doing. it will get better and the weight loss doesn't seem to bad. actually sounds good to me. my ds didn't have a wet diaper until 48hrs after birth. they actually scheduled him for a cath. procedure ( to check if the plumbing was hooked up right) and i made them do it in the room with me.when they went to do it, before they did anything, he pee'd all over the place dark ,smelly, brown pee every baby is different and sometimes they are not getting enough colostrum to make pee and poo the first few days of life. i wonder if he's having some nipple confusion with the supplemants. maybe she can use a sns attached to her breast for more stimulation to make milk. amber you know sometimes milk takes a long time to come in, mine took 5 days. tell her to relax, be alone with baby at the breast in a dim room. in my early days i would get stage fright and not have a let down, keep us posted.