Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a one year old

Default Weaning a one year old

How do you wean a one year old (just turned one) that was exclusively bf? She just started taking the bottle, she uses a sippy cup but she wants to bf for comfort really. That's why i am using a bottle, I am trying to give her that same sucking comfort in another form, the sippy cup isnt doing it for her.

Anyway, she will take a bottle when she feels like it but still wants to bf day and night. When I weaned my other kids, they were so easy. I did not have this problem.

She eats enough solids so its not like she is hungry. I really have to take medication for vertigo and have not been able to do so because I feel bad for her. She also looks to bf still at night 2-3x???My other kids did not do this...

The pediatrician just says tell her no, let her cry...this does not seem right but is it?

Everyone else I know never bf and they all say just stop bfing her. It's not that easy!

Someone please help....I really have to take this medication because I feel miserable. Thank you so much!!

Default Re: Weaning a one year old

Have you checked out the medication in Dr. Hale's Medications in Mother's Milk? A lot of LLL Leaders have a copy so you could try calling one and see what it has to say about the med. Maybe it would be compatable or partially weaning would be a solution. It sounds like neither of you are quite ready to be done, but you need to do something so you feel better.

I personally would try to find a medication that is safe while bf. Have you looked for one?

Most experts recommend weaning slowly as opposed to cold turkey. Here is a link with lots of information on weaning. Good luck!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Exactly...weaning is supposed to be eased off gradually, not stopped altogether. I have checked and I cannot take antivert while breastfeeding.
    I am taking it day by day but I get tired of hearing why don't you stop bfing so you can take the medicine...they just don't get it.

I was thinking maybe I am doing something wrong by not pushing the bottle more during a feeding. I thought you replaced one feeding a day with the bottle instead of bfing...usually she cries and I feel bad and just bf her.

Thanks again for your responses!!

Maybe you can start with the night weaning first. Dr. Jay Gordon's method may work since your baby is over 1 year old. Here is the link:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

If you can successfully wean her at night. Then you can start by limiting the number of feedings during the day like 3 times: morning, before nap and before bedtime. A few weeks later you can drop the before nap nursing and instead do something special with her before naps. A few weeks later you can drop the morning nursing by replacing it with something special. Then the last one. It may take some time but I think it can be better both for you and your child than just going cold-turkey.