Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any successful flat/invereted nursers here?

Default Any successful flat/invereted nursers here?

Ok the more I look at my nipples the more I am sure they are flat/invereted. I also think my nipples are short. I am so sad about this and worried I won't be able to BF successfully w/o using sheilds. I really don't want to use sheilds. Also who could I have evaluate my nipples? I attend LLL meetings but I don't know if I would ask a leader? Any succesful nursers out there w/ this issue?

Default Re: Any successful flat/invereted nursers here?

I'm pretty sure a LLL leader will be able to help if not you can see a LC. I've seen a few posts from moms that nursed successfully with flat nipples. Hopefully they will add their 2 cents.

My nipples were quite flat when my son was born. We had a rough first week or so, but got through it, without using nipple shields at all, and went on to have a long and happy nursing relationship.

Inverted nipples can be harder to manage, but they don't have to be insurmountable. It just makes a really good, deep latch that much more critical.

There are things you can do before the baby is born to help draw out the nipples -- it's basically a process of stretching out the adhesions under the skin that are holding the nipples inside the breast. If I had had my flat nipples properly diagnosed while I was in mid-pregnancy, we probably would have had an easier time getting started. So I would urge you to meet with a LLL Leader or an IBCLC to get their evaluation and recommendations now -- don't wait until you have a newborn!

--Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca! You are always so great here! Ok I just found a LC in my area and I emailed her. Hopefully we will meet soon and she will better be able to tell me what is going on. Also I meant to add I was surprised to learn I might have flat or inveterted nipples because my nipples are erect often. LOL

You already know (and have LOL'd at) my story! I surely had at least one inverted nipple and it resolved itself just fine and we're still BF at 14+ months!

-linda

Hi Sarah,

I have (had) a flat and an inverted nipple. I was told to wear breast shells from the time I was 35 weeks pregnant, which I did religiously.

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/breas...tml#softshells

When the baby arrived, I could not get him to latch on at the hospital. DS was also born with tongue tie, which we had clipped. Two weeks later, I had an IBCLC help us get started. Initially, we had to use a nipple shield, but after a week or two I was able to get him to latch on without it. My son learned to start out with a good strong suck to pull the nipple out.

My advice to you is to get names & numbers of lactation consultants who can help you soon after birth if you should need it. Even though I pumped for the first two weeks, I still have supply issues.

If you have to use a nipple shield initially, there's a good chance you'll be able to wean off of it later. I know it's not ideal, but it's better than not breastfeeding.

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted!

Jennifer