Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Still not latching...

Default Re: Still not latching...

Have you had any luck over the past few days??

So sorry I have been MIA. We have been victims of ice storms. No power, no phone line. I am at McDonald's using DH laptop from work.

When I said to use the bottle nipple over your breast, it was not to get breastmilk directly from the source. Rather, to get baby used to eating in the right position. It would be using the SNS as the milk source. I don't know why it worked, but he got the idea of eating in the cross craddle hold by doing this. Maybe she will, too.

I know that my son bit before he "got it." It sounds like you are getting so close. When she figures out that there is milk, she will go. Way to go on increasing that next half ounce. It will keep coming up. You keep at it!

I've had you on my mind a lot...still praying for you.

^^I see what you mean about the nipple now. I think that's a pretty good idea and one of the things I want to try. The SNS is such a cumbersome thing, so it would probably be a good idea to have someone help hold her(?). Another thing I really want to try is to wear the SNS in the tub with her when she is really hungry. I just hope the tape won't wash off!
    We just very recently moved to NY so things have been really hectic, especially with my family being around all the time. It's been much more difficult to find time to pump (and it is SO hard to pump on an airplane!). My supply has dropped to around 2 ounces a day. I still bathe with baby, and she still bites me during the whole time I have her lying on my chest without latching or even attempting to suck. It's like even if I squirt milk out and then let her taste it she doesn't get it. I wonder if it's just been too long since she BF'd, and now this could get even harder as she is starting solids and wanting to hold and play with her spoon, food and even bottle. I can't be topless with her all day here since it's very cold outside and I can't crank the heat without seeing a HUGE heating bill...that's just too much compared to what it would be in California.
    I think a lot of the time that I have to accept that she may not do this. That is part of all of this, just accepting that part of it is up to her. I have to acknowledge that no matter what I do she just might not have the desire to nurse again, and the fact that I took that experience away from her at 4 weeks and bottle fed her exclusively was not something I'll ever do again if I have another baby. If anything I am learning so much from this!!

Thanks for all your encouragement everyone! This is such an emotional thing! No one ever tells you how hard breastfeeding is when you're young, and there is usually very little support. I'm so grateful for what I can find here.

A-Hex, it is so good to hear from you, again! I respect what you are saying. I have had to come to terms with my situation, too. I wanted so much to be able to EBF. This is real grief, you know? I think it a shame to not support someone when they decide to go a new direction. In fact that can be when we need the most support. You have worked very hard -- and don't think that it is for nothing. There are over 30,000 antibodies in each ounce of breastmilk. So the two ounces a day are absolutely powerful. (In fact I recently read that in only 4 oz a day, the baby gets the amount of antibodies needed -- the rest is to meet nutritional needs.)

I have pumped for a baby that wouldn't latch. I remember how good it felt to give my daughter a bottle that I knew had my milk in it. I won't ever belittle that. Breastmilk, while important, does not define a good mother.

The one thing I know about motherhood is constant change. I have found that leaning on the Lord for understanding is the only way to make it through. Enjoy your baby. Enjoy feeding her and growing with her. This time is so precious!

When I moved, it took me a while to settle in. I bet the milk will come back more easily than the first time if you decide to get intense, again. But if you don't, that is okay, too. How many women don't even try? You are a hero in my book.
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; January 7th, 2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo

You have made some wonderful points, and fantastic accomplishments as well! In some way I think of you as an inspiration and role model because you have done the seemingly impossible!!!
    So thank you for the compliment - It is still very hard to not think of my BFing relationship with Kembra while holding a great deal of regret, but I can also now look at the other side of the coin and be grateful that I have had the strength and will to stick with the pumping for so long even though I hate it.
    Even with a bottle, I can still hold her close to my breast, bend down and kiss her forehead, tell her I love her, warm the milk with the heat of my chest as it sits in the bottle. I am grateful for the little things, and I am going to get my supply back up again. If she won't nurse I can at least do my part.

You go girl!!!

Glad to hear from you again. I hope everything is going well in NY. Whatever you decide to do, do it wholeheartedly! Don't let the regret be overcoming, and continue to think of everything as a learning experience. At least Kembra is still getting the bonding experience and the health benefits of the breast milk you are able to provide her. Like one of the llladies says in her sig, an ounce of breastmilk is better than the finest tequila (or something like that). It's the best thing you can EVER give your baby!! May God be with you in your journeys and by your side in every decision you make.

I went earlier this evening and found a wonderful herbalist who sold me some Goat's Rue. I'm supposed to make an infusion using a teaspoon of the herb with 1 cup of boiling water, steeped like a tea for 15 minutes. It's sitting on my counter top right now and I'm scared of the taste. I need some honey or something!

One thing I want to mention that some might not know is that Goat's Rue can lower blood sugar levels. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your own natural blood sugar status. I think I'll be okay but people who have diabetic or hypoglycemic issues should consult a physician before using it.
    Just an FYI.

We still haven't made much progress since the last time I posted but my supply has gone up to about 2.5 ounces some days. I'm getting more comfortable pumping at my new job and I feel less conspicuous about it. I'm too old to care anymore what the youngins think.

Red face Re: Still not latching...

a hex, I don't know if this will mean anything to you or not, but your post <and your struggle> have motivated me...I am in the same situation, except when i pump all day i only get Maybe half an oz...to hear that you can get 3?! It tells me not to give up... came here today thinking that i wasn't doing something right, that I had waited too long, that all of the fenugreek, oatmeal, tea and pumping were futile...now I see that i Can be done, it just takes more time. I have decided that I am Not going to give up, and I hope that you don't either...thank you so much for sharing your struggle...

Quote Originally Posted by melbelle View Post
    a hex, I don't know if this will mean anything to you or not, but your post <and your struggle> have motivated me...I am in the same situation, except when i pump all day i only get Maybe half an oz...to hear that you can get 3?! It tells me not to give up... came here today thinking that i wasn't doing something right, that I had waited too long, that all of the fenugreek, oatmeal, tea and pumping were futile...now I see that i Can be done, it just takes more time. I have decided that I am Not going to give up, and I hope that you don't either...thank you so much for sharing your struggle...
    Many moms have come to the relactation forum with less-than-an-ounce stories, and have gone on to great success producing milk for their babies. Don't give up! You can do it! The moms around here are so encouraging and supportive. Feel free to post your questions, or just let us know how we can support you.

Tiana