Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Still not latching...

Default Re: Still not latching...

Thank you again ladies for your support. I guess I was pretty frustrated that day when I thought about giving up. I just can't let it go! I'm still shirtless! lol
    I managed to get 3.5 ounces yesterday finally...so although I was at a plateau, I'm starting to see more again.

And last night in the bath, she put her mouth on my boob but would not suck or latch. Basically she drooled on it. I tried squirting a little milk out but she wasn't hungry. It seemed like a close call though.

I wear her a lot, and hold her even more. Our heater was broken and we had to use space heaters for a few weeks so we didn't do constant skin to skin for that time but now we are back to doing it whenever I'm home. Our gas and electric bill are going to be insane but I think it's worth it.

I actually thought about putting the bottle nipple over mine but I thought it might fall off. Maybe I could get it to stay with some spirit gum?...no, that would probably be pretty toxic. How did you get it to stay?

If you're serious about the idea of a bottle nipple over your nipple, you might try a nipple shield. More often than not, they cause more trouble than they are worth (often prescribed needlessly for mothers of newborns with sore nipples), but they have ocassionally been helpful when baby absolutely refuses to latch: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul00p39.html

I would recommend that you go this direction only as a last resort.

Tiana

She doesn't like the nipple shield. Thanks anyway.

I also tried putting the rubber nipple over mine this morning after I read these posts but they didn't fit right at all. I tried NUK and Dr. Brown's and neither seemed to fit. Even if she did latch onto the nipple, mine would be way behind the fake one and it wouldn't get any stimulation - maybe a little in the tip but that would be counterproductive and painful.
    Last edited by a_hex; December 13th, 2007 at 06:58 PM.

If she's hungry, go try another bath. It almost worked last time!

Quote Originally Posted by a_hex View Post
    I managed to get 3.5 ounces yesterday finally...so although I was at a plateau, I'm starting to see more again.

And last night in the bath, she put her mouth on my boob but would not suck or latch.
    Good job! Looks like things might be getting better.

I have to agree with pp, don't worry about the latch, it will happen. My LO used to bite me and scream when I put her to my breast and she is totally asleep and nursing right now. We really had a lot of good skin to skin time in the bathtub too. It was one of the few places she would even get close to my breast without freaking out.

It's good to hear that things are looking better for you.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Any news today?? Hope all is well with you and your little girl!

We took another bath together today and she took much delight in biting my boob over and over. OMG that hurts. I tried not to discourage her by yelling or pushing her off but I did yelp and told her "that hurts mama". Then I'd offer it again and she'd bite.
    Is this some sort of prelude to maaaybe nursing? Cuz I'll endure the pain if it means that she's getting ready.

Maybe, atleast she's putting it in her mouth and not screaming about it. I've been lucky enough that I've not had these problems, but my friend has. I think that it is wonderful that you are trying and perservering. Was she hungry when she bit you? Or just playing? Maybe feed her half of what she normally eats, as close to your breast as you can and then when the bottle's empty try to squeeze some milk out onto your nipple and see if she'll take it then. Maybe if she's hungry enough to eat but not hungry enough to throw a fit she'll be a little more patient with the breast. If I were trying it, I would try it with the bottle of EBM that she gets in the morning when everyone's in a good mood. Goo luck and hope all goes well!

Sorry for not posting regularly. and You're doing an awesome job!