Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there hope

Exclamation Is there hope

my little girl was born at 31 weeks at 40 weeks she caught rsv and we have been thru a big struggle and with a two year old the stress doesnt stop my milk supply is droping and my pump isnt expressing milk hardly at all but when i hand express it i get more but not nearly enough and it takes too much time what can i do my baby needs this bad

Default Re: Is there hope

What makes you happy?

Theres hope keep trying and try to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Analeigha&blakesmom View Post
    my little girl was born at 31 weeks at 40 weeks she caught rsv and we have been thru a big struggle and with a two year old the stress doesnt stop my milk supply is droping and my pump isnt expressing milk hardly at all but when i hand express it i get more but not nearly enough and it takes too much time what can i do my baby needs this bad
    So sorry to hear about the RSV -- very scary. But, yes, of course there's hope re: increasing milk production and breastfeeding! But milk has to move (be removed) from the breasts on a regular basis to tell the breasts to make more -- the more removed, the more that's made; the less removed, the less made. (It's like a factory warehouse -- product is moved, the factory is told to make more; product sits in the warehouse too long, factory is told to make less and then less and finally not to make any at all.)

What kind of pump were you using and how often are you able to use it? Is it a rental pump -- and, if not, can you rent one? (Renting a pump designed for the job you need it for so that you can provide your milk with all its disease-fighting properties is still much less expensive than paying for another kind of baby milk.) If you have the right pump, production should build back up with several days of regular use.

And there are ways/routines that may make more pumping feasible, even with a new baby and a toddler... Get back -- and if you really want it -- we can all help you with a plan to rebuild production.

Hang in -- it IS worth it!

im useing the green ameda pump i got it from my wic office it used to work great but now its not too good it hurts and doesnt do its job

This sounds like the furthest thing from your mind, but you need to relax, meditate, get a back rub, take a hot bath -- whatever will take your mind off of things.

Stress inhibits let-down. The milk is there, but because you're under so much pressure and tension, it won't eject. Because milk isn't being removed as efficiently, your supply is dropping.

Reducing stress - even if only while pumping - WILL help. Make a portable pumping zen - a piece of your baby's clothing, a treasured photo, written affirmations, your favorite candy, music or maybe ear plugs.

Delegate out tasks. Hire help. Find volunteers in your church. Sounds expensive - but it's usually cheaper than buying formula! No one (except your toddler) expects you to be a superhero!

my little girl was born at 31 weeks at 40 weeks she caught rsv and we have been thru a big struggle and with a two year old the stress doesnt stop

my milk supply is droping and my pump isnt expressing milk hardly at all but when i hand express it i get more but not nearly enough and it takes too much time what can i do my baby needs this bad
    Hand expression does work better for some mothers. Some mothers find that a combination of hand expression and pumping works better. It's all a matter of finding what works best for YOU.

Here's a video that shows how hand expression works:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html
    And here's a video that shows how to maximize your milk output while pumping:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

im useing the green ameda pump i got it from my wic office it used to work great but now its not too good it hurts and doesnt do its job
    Ouch! Could you take the pump back in to WIC and have them check it? It's possible that something isn't working properly on the pump causing both the pain and your reduced pumping yield.

Could you tell us more about the pain? Can you describe how it feels? When do you feel the pain (beginning, end, or between feedings)?