Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: RSV medication

Default RSV medication

Do any parents of preemies here have there lo's on RSV meds for the RSV season? My ped ordered 6 mths of the meds without asking me if I wanted to give them to dd. I don't even know if they are oral or a shot or what. DD's 6 mth appointment is later today so any experiences from other moms would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for you help!!

Default Re: RSV medication

yeah don't be afraid to ask more ?'s and get the info you need before giving the go ahead for the meds.
    Call the nurse and talk to her if you have to.

I agree with Andrea's suggestion to ask more questions, but also be aware that the strain of RSV going around this year is extremely aggressive and that for a LO who was a preemie it is even more serious. My full-term 18 month old who is still nursing, never gets sick and has no family history of asthma or allergies was in the hospital for 3 days and 2 nights with RSV. There were so many kids with RSV that they had to put people in other wards. We were on the cardiology floor b/c the respiratory illness beds were all taken.

RSV is something you don't want to mess around with, but be sure you have all your info before you decide what protective measures to take with your little one.

My dr. also prescribed the synagis for my lo without talking to me about it. We ultimately decided against it...if you go to the drug manufacturers website (google it) it says right there that it is only 40-45% effective. The drug has only been around for like 7 years, so there hasn't been enough time (in our opinion) to see what long term side effects of pumping my baby with a drug. That said, RSV is serious and I was initially leaning towards giving him the shots (my little sister had RSV and was in ICU for a week)...but I didn't think that a 40-45% effective rate was worth any possible risks/side effects.

Good luck...research, research, research! Remember, this is YOUR baby...it is YOUR responsibility to protect him!

I decided against it at this point. The Dr. did not even try to change my mind. I think they just wanted the very large amount of money from my insurance company for the drug We are just going to keep nursing and keep her home as much as possible through the season (she is not in daycare). Thank you all so much for your input!

my little girl was a preeme and caught rsv we almost lost her now they are giving her meds for it and they have helped a lot she hasnt caught it again trust me get the shots they help

Hi! I have a former 24 weeker, who will soon be 3 years old. He never received the shots, and he also has only ever had 1 cold in his entire life. That being said, I'm sure you know RSV is scary and can be life threatening to a preemie. If you're sure you are against the shots, just be VERY dilligent about hand washing/sanitizing, and keeping anyone with a cold away from her.