Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tummy Virus :(

Default Tummy Virus :(

Ok here it is ladies, I went out last night with a friend to go shopping, and about 7:30 DH calls me and says DS is vomiting. So we go home and sure enough, I nursed ds and he threw it right back up so i called the after hours line at the doctor's office and they said not to worry about solids, just give him bm and pedialyte. SO now we are up to today, he's nursed 3 times, had 2 vomits and 3 diarreah diapers. I'm worried about him getting dehydrated, but the doc just says keep pushing the fluids, but as fast as i'm pumping them in, he's getting rid of them. I can't keep track of his pees because the poop is so watery and it covers both front and back of him. He's had 2 today that I know of. I informed the doctor that the two he has had have been really dark urine, and I'm going to school for medical assisting and I know that dark urine means that it's really concentrated, and that he doesn't have enough fluids going in him. Dr. said not to worry as long as he has 3 in a24 hour period he'll be fine. Is this going around or is this just something that he started..??? He has no fever just the above symptoms.

Default Re: Tummy Virus :(

I hope your lil guy feels better real soon for your sake and his

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Faerie Fertile Guest

You could try nursing more frequently for shorter periods of time. This way, your baby gets smaller quantities of milk and it's more likely to end up digested rather than spit up.

(((hugs)))

Here's something about vomitting:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-illness.html

thanks for that website. I am just a paranoid over protective mama! It doesn't help that there is a major ice storm outside, so if I DID have to take him to the Dr there would be almost no way to get there.

I agree with PP. When my first DD had the tummy virus at 4 months, the doc in the ER recommended smaller more frequent feeds. I think 5 minutes per hour, maybe less. It was very stressful seeing all that she threw up, it looked like all that I had fed her. But the doc assured me that BM is digested sooo quickly, that she was getting something. Watch out that you don't get it too, it is very contagious. I got it a day or two after she did-- that part was worse, trying to prevent my own dehydration while nursing her.

I think that's my problem now, DS is feeling better, no poops, one bout of vomiting, but now i am starting to feel achy and icky...great, what on earth did I do to diserve this? I have finals next week!

My lo had this last week (3mo). BF as much as possible and he'll get some of it...for you, lots of water! And don't worry if your supply goes down for a day or two after; it will take your body that long to recover. after two days my supply started to come back up and now ( a week later) is back full force.

Well here it is again, LO got sent home from daycare this morning because he had 2 diarreah diapers...I personally didn't see them, I think they were breastmilk poop. Daycare lady said they were yellow and runny. He hasnt wanted any solids since he got sick last monday, so we've just been nursing. Anyway, I took him home and he ate a nice turkey dinner with us tonight, haven't seen any puke, or poopy so we're doing ok. I think my thing must have been stress and worry wart syndrome, I got up the next morning and felt ok. I feel awful that he is sick and I can't do anything about it! They're so helpless and little, and mommies are like little kids too, they feel helpless because there is nothing they can do for the lo's except nurse nurse nurse!!!