Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baby not gaining weight while breastfeeding, pls help!

Default Re: baby not gaining weight while breastfeeding, pls help!

Hopefully the compressions will help. It sounds like he needs some encouragement to actively suck at the breast for longer periods. Do you have another weight check scheduled? If you go back to the LC, I'd suggest doing a before and after weigh to see how much he's taking. Nipple shields *can* sometimes interfere with transfer of milk, but when used correctly they can also be an effective tool for a baby who can't/won't latch without one. I'd also suggest trying to get in a couple more feeds per day (which it sounds like you may already be doing this since you said you are waking him at night). Then general number of feeds is 8-12 per 24 hours, and with a slow gaining baby its better to aim for the top of that frequency rather than the low end. Personally, I wouldn't start solids that early. If he needs more than he can get from the breast, I'd try to pump and offer EBM as a supplement. BUT, since he is at least *maintaining* weight with BF only, just not gaining, I think its very likely you can get things on track for normal weight gain with a little more work on his BFing (the compressions, more feedings, etc.).

Let us know how its going! Hang in there. You are doing a great job!

HI

i am in a similar situation- i needed to add a bottle or some way of feeding as my baby wasn't nursing....then she did nurse- then stoppedagain. anyway i am impressed you got yours to nurse again! that is my hope, as i can' t imagine pumping for long either. like you say- having to bring the pump everywhere you go, etc. How did you get your aby back to the breast??? any tips there would be much appreciated.

good luck
    jessica

I tried at least once a day and preferable when I knew my supply was high, usually mornings or in the middle of the night. I tried different positions, on my left side he only nurses on the football hold. He also only nurses if I use a nipple shield. He started to only take the breast in the middle of the night 2-3 feedings but never during the day. I would even come to my room and lay in bed with him but still nothing. He would see my breast and scream and he NEVER cried for any other reason. Anyway, with a few days of nursing during the night I started to try again in the mornings and he started to take it. That is when I decided to take vacation and do nothing but nurse him. I also read somewhere that you should smile and make it fun while nursing. So I tried to focus on that instead of feeling so frustrated during our feedings.
    The compressions are also making him nurse better this week. I can't wait to check his weight again.

Are you using a thin silicone nipple shield? When your baby comes off the breast, is there milk in the shield?

I've been using the standard one from Medela (24mm). The LC suggested a smaller one (22mm) but it hurts when he nurses so I started to use the bigger one. Yes, I can ussually see milk in it after he is done. Maye I should make an appoint w/ the LC to check his weight and latch again. She suggested 3 bottles per day but he started to refuse nursing again so I only give him 1 bottle around 11PM while he is sleeping on the days that I'm home. Twice/week he'll have 3-4 bottles when I'm in the office.

Baby is finally gaining weight. I think we are finally getting it after 41/2 months . I was still giving him 1 bottle w/ EBM at around 11PM. The compressions and more frequent feedings seem to work. I can tell he is also sucking better. And for the first time this wkend he started to open his mouth and seem happy everytime I started nursing him. He used to do that for the bottles and just cry when he saw my breast. I can't explain how happy I feel . Thank you all for the suggestions!!!!!

He may have just needed to get used to the fact that it takes a much stronger/willful suck to nurse at the breast than it does to feed from a bottle.

I'm happy to hear that all is going well!!

Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsf28 View Post
    When I was breastfeeding only he was waking up at night more frequently and I always nursed him every time he woke up but he still falls asleep very fast on my breast. I’m going to try the compressions again.
    Thanks for the link and the videos. They are very helpful. I'll pay more attention to his feedings. I let him stay on the breast for as long as he wants but I think sometimes he is just not sucking anything so the compressions should help.
    Do you co-sleep? If you can, let him stay on as long as he wants to all night. He will continue to get milk even after he's "asleep" (and hopefully you are too!). If you have trouble nursing while lying down, see "variations" on this page: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm

I second everything else PPs have said. I do know that nipple shields can cause decreased output at the breast in some dyads. You also want to do "suck training" when using them to help the baby coordinate the correct tongue movements. Kellymom has good info on both: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

Did you notice any engorgement when you were home with the baby for 2 weeks? What type of bottle/nipple are you using?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I just saw your updates. Yay! Keep up the great work!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I second everything else PPs have said. I do know that nipple shields can cause decreased output at the breast in some dyads. You also want to do "suck training" when using them to help the baby coordinate the correct tongue movements. Kellymom has good info on both: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html
    That is my next goal. After a few more good days of BFing I'll try to start weaning him off the shield. Thanks for the link.

Did you notice any engorgement when you were home with the baby for 2 weeks?
    I did in the first few days and had to pump in the middle of the night but I was overproducing when I was just pping. Now it feels a lot more comfortable.

What type of bottle/nipple are you using?
    I started w/ Dr. Brown and switched to Playtex Drop in. I was thinking about trying the BreastFlow. I heard it's even better than the drop in. Thanks for the links.