Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLS...What texture for first food?

Default BLS...What texture for first food?

I'm getting ready to start baby led solids after Christmas and I was wondering about the very first food. I'm leaning toward carrots b/c she loves anything orange Do I give her a huge hunk of steamed (and cooled) carrot so she can pick it up and play with it? Or do I mash it with a fork and give her a pile or mush to squish her fingers in? I'm not sure what is best for the very first tasting. What did you do for BLS first food?
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Default Re: BLS...What texture for first food?

My guy's first food experience with roughly mashed carrots. For me it was important that he didn't get stuck into pureed and smooth foods. I'm not buying jar food! 2 months later, he eats off our plates.

Have fun!

In my opinion - something that is soft enough to eat without needing to chew (I'd test by trying to eat using just my tounge & the roof of my mouth and no teeth) but enough texture so that LO can pick it up.

Common first BLS foods I've seen include: avocado, sweet potato baked or steamed until soft, cool & give LO a "blop"), banana

Seems like carrot if soft enough would work ...

I personally was pretty lazy and when we did BLS didn't do alot of prep of the foods beyond steaming until soft or cutting into an appropriate shape (for soft fruits like pear, etc)
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Oh my gosh, that pic is adorable!

Ok, I like the advice of trying it myself without using teeth...great advice!

Thanks!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

We started with avacado, then banana, then sweet potato (a no-go, she hated it!) And then moved on to firmer things from there. We cut the avacado into cubes, but for banana just gave her a piece and let her take bites off it. We had to watch her cause sometimes she'd take really big bites, but she always either got them down or squished them back out of her mouth.

The name says it all, follow baby's lead and have fun!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

good question laursie! did you know our babes have the same b-day! we were going to start bls soon too probably in january. how do you know when they are ready? i'd like to ebf for as long as possible

I gave carrot to my son as his first food - cut into batons and boiled until fairly soft. He loved it!

how much do you give them at first? how many times a day?

Quote Originally Posted by adamEMMAbella View Post
    how do you know when they are ready?
    why delay solids

is baby ready for solid foods

LLLI - when should my baby start solids

With baby led solids - people use the above info to decide when they want to start offering solids. Baby gets to decide when he/she is actually ready to pick up food and start eating. Many people find with baby led solids that their LO may pick up, play with, and taste food for awhile before actually begining to eat. My DS didn't really start eating much until he was 8 or 8.5 mo and from what I've read that is pretty typical. Baby led solids can be a bit messy (but fun!) so the best evidence of whether or not LO actually ate anything is checking their poops the next day.

bananas - if you press gently on the end of a banana they will naturally split into thirds the long way; these thirds can be a good size for LO to pick up
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by adamEMMAbella View Post
    how much do you give them at first? how many times a day?
    I just gave her a little bit here and there at first. You can always just put a little bit of whatever on the tray (or wherever you feed lo) and let them play for a little while. If it all disappears and baby is still playing, put some more down. I think I started with just once a day and upped it, bit by bit. Play it by ear, if they aren't interested don't push.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous