Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peanut butter

Default Re: Peanut butter

Does anybody have any links to information on the recommendation to avoid it?
    I would prefer almond butter myself since it's so full of protein and fat and not as commonly allergenic. My pediatrician says nut products are fine to try as long as they are smooth so the child can't choke. I thought I was going crazy when I remembered hearing you shouldn't give nuts, but apparently I must have heard it somewhere. I only have allergies to plants, animals, dust and mould. She's had eggs, dairy, sesame seeds, citrus, chocolate with no problems. She had an allergic reaction *one* time ever and we never figured out what it was from, but we thought it was a bug bite. She had a fine prickly rash all over her body, mainly torso. It went away with Benadryl & hydrocortisone cream under doc's orders. Anyways I'd love to read some links if you have 'em. thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Does anybody have any links to information on the recommendation to avoid it?
    on kellymom - introducing solids chart

wholesome baby foods website
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angitay View Post
    We have NO food allergies in our family so I thought that I would give Alli a bit of peanut butter on bread when she was about 15 months old. Bad idea. She only ate about a half inch square with just the tiniest amount of peanut butter and she had a fairly bad reaction. First she broke out in a rash around her mouth. Then she got a runny nose and her eyes puffed up and got puffy. She seemed to be able to breath just fine so I never took her to the ER but the symptoms lasted like 4 hours. Poor thing. I would wait as tempting as it is.

How scary!

Have you had any follow up with your pediatrician or an allergist?

I don't want to scare you - but the next time she accidentally has some peanut the reaction could be worse. With your DD having a known peanut allergy - you may want to consider having an EpiPen Jr for her. Even if you are super careful with what she eats, accidental exposure could come at any time.

I was freaked out when I was handed a prescription for DS for an EpiPen Jr because of his food allergies. But now I really appreciate having it "just in case".
    Wow...I guess I didn't think much about it except that I would delay introducing peanuts for longer than recommended (stupid me!). We have her 18 month ped visit at the end of the month so I will definitely talk to her doctor. I am really glad that you posted this. Thank you!
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Angitay View Post
    Wow...I guess I didn't think much about it except that I would delay introducing peanuts for longer than recommended (stupid me!). We have her 18 month ped visit at the end of the month so I will definitely talk to her doctor. I am really glad that you posted this. Thank you!
    You're welcome!

With a known reaction to peanut - the doctor may prescribe an EpiPen Jr. It was scary for me to think of having an EpiPen for DS because I didn't think his food allergies were "that bad". But what I've learned makes be realize that it's best to err on the side of being safe. The other benefit of having an EpiPen is when I'm in situations where I don't feel that other people are taking the need to be careful around DS with foods seriously I can mention "EpiPen" and everybody starts listening up!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)