Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter

Default Peanut butter

I've read/heard all over that nut & nut products, esp. peanuts, should be avoided until 2 or later because so many children are severely allergic to them. My pediatrician, though, said seafood is the *only* thing you can't give after 12 months (aside from anything they could choke on) for risk of mercury contamination; and that peanut butter is OK to try now (DD is 15 months). I was really surprised about this, though it would be helpful since we don't eat meat (except I eat a little seafood) in our house and it would be good protein & fat. Any experiences in this nut issue? Maybe it was only under 2 + family history of nut allergies I was thinking of?

Default Re: Peanut butter

Personally - I'd wait until LO was 2 or 3. If you have a peanut allergy it can be life threatening and life-long.

There are lots of other yummy alternatives:
    - nut butters (all sorts)
    - sunflower seed butter (sun butter)
    - soy nut butter
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Based on what I've read, it seems best to wait until 3, but we started our 2.5 year old on peanut butter earlier - around 20 months, I believe. But, what I did was bring some on a well check visit to ped. We snacked in the waiting room before our appointment. I figured this way, if she had a reaction, we were in the right place.

Amy

I was told to wait until after 2 for peanut butter - 3 or longer if child or family has an allergy history. We gave Morgan pb after 2 years. I think Zach has probably already had it in small quantites because Morgan likes to sneak him forbidden foods, but we are "officially" holding off until he is 2 also.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I guess I'm the odd one out here... We have NO history of allergies in my family or DHs family. We started letting DD have peanut butter on toast or bread or whatever at around 13 or 14 months. Of course, we put it on in a *VERY* thin layer, but mostly to prevent her mouth from getting stuck together! She has never had any problems, and loves it! It is completely up to you, though... Just thought I'd share my story FWIW.
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Quote Originally Posted by MarcieLynne View Post
    We have NO history of allergies in my family or DHs family.
    DH and I have no history of food allergies. Our DS is allergic to: eggs, dairy, sesame seed and has tested allergic to peanuts & tree nuts.

For peanut - it's not the amount that matters, it's the exposure.

I'm delighted to hear that others have given their LO peanut butter without any problems.

But because peanut allergies are SO serious, I wanted to let people know about safer alternatives.
    Lynn

In my experience, sunflower butter is sooooo much yummier than peanut butter!! ML loves it - on toast, crackers, whatever!

ML has had excema since she was really little and I think it's related to a food allergy (even though the pedi says not), so I was really hesitant about giving her peanut butter. There was one time right after she was a year old where I was eating a reese's cup & let her have the teeniest little taste - then I realized it had peanut butter (duh!) & started freaking out. She never did have a reaction, but she's not had pb again either.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I have heard advice not to give any nuts or nut products until after four or five. This is what I'll be doing with DS.

We have NO food allergies in our family so I thought that I would give Alli a bit of peanut butter on bread when she was about 15 months old. Bad idea. She only ate about a half inch square with just the tiniest amount of peanut butter and she had a fairly bad reaction. First she broke out in a rash around her mouth. Then she got a runny nose and her eyes puffed up and got puffy. She seemed to be able to breath just fine so I never took her to the ER but the symptoms lasted like 4 hours. Poor thing. I would wait as tempting as it is.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Angitay View Post
    We have NO food allergies in our family so I thought that I would give Alli a bit of peanut butter on bread when she was about 15 months old. Bad idea. She only ate about a half inch square with just the tiniest amount of peanut butter and she had a fairly bad reaction. First she broke out in a rash around her mouth. Then she got a runny nose and her eyes puffed up and got puffy. She seemed to be able to breath just fine so I never took her to the ER but the symptoms lasted like 4 hours. Poor thing. I would wait as tempting as it is.

How scary!

Have you had any follow up with your pediatrician or an allergist?

I don't want to scare you - but the next time she accidentally has some peanut the reaction could be worse. With your DD having a known peanut allergy - you may want to consider having an EpiPen Jr for her. Even if you are super careful with what she eats, accidental exposure could come at any time.

I was freaked out when I was handed a prescription for DS for an EpiPen Jr because of his food allergies. But now I really appreciate having it "just in case".
    Lynn