Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: friend needs help

Default friend needs help

My friend has a 3 day old who was latching on but isn't now. He is constantly rooting but gets upset on breast and has lots of gurgly noises in tummy I don't know how to help her any suggestions?

Default Re: friend needs help

please help I am here and the mommies so tired

I don't know much to say, it sounds like he is hungry- maybe too hungry to be patient enough to latch on well. Just keep trying, those first few days can be really tough, but your friend can do it!! Esp with a great friend like you there to help her.

Maybe try some different positions? side lying, football hold, whatever helps him latch on, he'll get it eventually.

HTH and good luck!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Maybe that LO can sense mom's fustration? I would try to relax by taking a warm quiet bath,(mom and baby) then try nursing, maybe even in the tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare's Mum View Post
    Maybe that LO can sense mom's fustration? I would try to relax by taking a warm quiet bath,(mom and baby) then try nursing, maybe even in the tub.
    Nora always wants to nurse in the tub.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Is there a lactation consultant available? If so, get your friend to go and see her ASAP! Nothing beats hands-on help.

Has her milk come in yet? Sometimes hand-expressing a few drops into the baby's mouth can get him headed in the right direction. Trying different positions, and nursing in a warm bath, as the PPs mentioned, are also great ideas. Your friend might also spending as much time as possible topless in bed with the baby, just doing skin-to-skin contact. The baby will be soothed by her breathing and heartbeat, warmed by her skin, and will get to really know and love her smell- all things that might help him want to latch on more.

Has the baby had any bottles or pacifiers? Either one can mess up the breastfeeding relationship by screwing with the baby's desire to latch/suck on his mom. If she's giving bottles or paci's, now is a good time to put them away for later.

Her breast are so engorged he can't get latched on properly and fusses at breast. We sent dh to get a pump

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Could she hand express a little milk?

a couple of drops.

Please get ahold of a LLL Leader or IBCLC in your area. This sounds like she might need some in-person help.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!