Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat & Protein Sources

Default Re: Fat & Protein Sources

i agree with trying some other cheeses! james loves his cheese, although i make sure he has peaches at least once a day to help the cheese not constipate him. his favorites are american slices, cheddar/colby combo, cottage cheese, and sometimes string cheese!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

So far today hes on a solids strike. He ate half a rice cracker with coconut oil. He wouldn't touch cottage cheese or chicken, his usual favourites.

I'll chalk it up to his cold, I'm hoping this passes.

Ahhh for the day when we can plop him down with a good old pb&j
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Faerie Fertile Guest

In my house egg dishes are popular, as are any kind of cheese.

What about mini meatballs? That's a meat he could pick up, and would be tender. We use a lot of buffalo meat (grass fed so healthy!) and it works well with binders needed for meat balls.

You don't want to do any type of bean at all? You know, if canned beans are rinsed well, much of the components that cause gas bubbles are removed. Hummus or white bean spread are really good on whole grain toast.

If you do fish, you could make mini salmon patties. Yummy!

For fats, anything with olive oil is good. You could even brush toast with olive oil and rub with garlic (if your kiddo likes garlic--mine love it!).

Avacodo is a good fat. Let's see...coconut oil is good. Real butter is good. Flax seeds are good. Nut butters (if no allergies) are good.

If your son like mac and cheese, you can make it fattier by adding a little cream to the mix, and using full fat cheeses. A good whole grain macaroni is really delicious with white cheeses, cream, and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    So far today hes on a solids strike. He ate half a rice cracker with coconut oil. He wouldn't touch cottage cheese or chicken, his usual favourites.

I'll chalk it up to his cold, I'm hoping this passes.

Ahhh for the day when we can plop him down with a good old pb&j
    i lonnnngggg for that day, too! hope he feels better!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I think I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around: nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. All the NO-NOs are now okay!? So 6 months worth of solids experience is now being jumbled up by adding new items. Does that make sense?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I think I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around: nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. All the NO-NOs are now okay!? So 6 months worth of solids experience is now being jumbled up by adding new items. Does that make sense?
    Yep - totally!

My personal recommendation is to continue adding new foods one at a time, and if you're worried about food allergies continue to defer introducing the highly allergenic foods.

We prioritized introducing foods to DS that would allow me to start being able to cook actual meals that we can all eat.

For DS we often "deconstruct" the meal and/or cook his more. Since I want to get more fats & calories into DS, I'll often do his serving with extra olive oil or "butter" spread.

If my DS was eating eggs & dairy - I'd likely be cooking lots of quiche / frittata / strata type meals, as well as things like mac & cheese (I do homemade).

Just think - it actually starts to get a bit easier, because our LO are beginning to eat like "people" and not like "babies".

Of course - none of this guarantees that my DS is actually doing to want solids on any particular day.

Oh - and it has gotten a bit easier for us now that DS can communicate. My DS isn't talking much but can point at what he wants or answer yes/no questions. So at snack times I'll often give him a couple of options and let him choose which one he wants to eat.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

And I wanted to add ... with DS food allergies, I'm only eating foods that are safe for him. We let DS know that he's always welcome to try any foods that are on my plate. At times he has totally suprised us by really liking some totally out there foods (current faves include avocado sushi rolls, Japanese soba noodles, and lo mein noodles).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Wow. I LOVE peanut butter SO much that if my daughter turned out to be allergic that would be such a bummer!

We do avacados, different crackers, hard cheeses, and juices or fruits for snacks.

She LOVES TOFU for lunch. You would have to consume MASSIVE amounts of SOY for it to be non-beneficial ( I realize this is strictly my opinion, although I base this on scientific evidence I have reviewed meticulously).

Avocado is our favourite- add it lots of things! Also organic butter and cheese.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Soy info:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...soy_story.html
    http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html
    http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_controversy.html

How about some good ol' fashioned butter on some sprouted grain or sourdough bread? I would also suggest using egg yolks, even if you're uncomfortable with the whole egg. Have you done bone broths or creamy soups? My DD loves them. Cream of mushroom, chicken, beef/chili, you name it.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.