Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat & Protein Sources

Default Fat & Protein Sources

I'm trying to find healthy snacks to offer with fruit between meals. I'd prefer higher good fats and proteins. Beans don't go over well with my gassy toddler + co-sleeping.

Any suggestions?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Fat & Protein Sources

How about some of the nut butters or sunbutter or soynut butter?

We'll do slices of apple with soynut butter & raisins. Sometimes DS will just lick the soynut butter off the apple slices, and he also likes to try to dip.

For beans - does it matter how they are prepared? Would beans as a dip (like hummus but can use any bean and leave out the tahini if you want) be less gassy?

ETA: I forget - is your DS eating dairy? If so then how about string cheese or other cheeses? Or cream cheese spread on slices of apple or bread?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I feel scared to offer nut butters due to potential allergies, even though I'm sure that sounds so silly.

We have been offering cottage cheese, but he seems to be on a strike from that.
    Lyn

As the mom of an allergy LO - not at all silly!

How do you feel about sunflower seed butter (sunbutter)? I've heard it is quite yummy but we've never tried it because DS also has a sesame seed allergy so we're avoiding all seeds <sigh>.

Are you doing any soy products (tofu, etc)? Soy is also a potential allergen and I know there is controversy over eating soy products. If you are ok with doing soy - then there a couple of brands of soy nut butters that are pretty yummy.

Have you tried other cheeses? Either as little sticks or melted on bread or a tortilla? Or cream cheese as a spread or the base for a dip?
    Lynn

I will look for the sunbutter! Also, saw some almond butter, might start with that. We have no allergies in the family, D was sensitive to wheat, but seems to outgrown that.

We aren't doing soy, I havent researched it enough to make an informed decision on it yet. We've offered tofu a few times, but I changed my mind.

I need to start being more confident around the foods I offer. I think after D's choking episode months ago, I've been paranoid I cut up all of his food, except rice crackers. Speaking of, I think I will spread a bit of coconut oil and whatever sunbutter/almond butter that I decide on.

I want to try giving him sandwiches, etc, but I am so scared of him choking.
    Lyn

When we first started giving DS "sandwiches" I watched him like a hawk until I was confident he could handle eating them.

You could try open face first - I cut strips of bread and put topping on it. DS can pick it up and bite off the end, and it's only one layer of bread to eat. Now I cut DS sandwich up into bite-sized pieces. Or we do a lot of things using mini-pita bread (I found whole wheat mini-pita breads at our Whole Foods). You get the sandwich thing but thinner bread to need to bite through and chew.

What about cheeses - cream cheese & others?

I was originally pretty anti-soy, but DS tested negative as an allergen and he's got a limited diet so using soy as a protien source is pretty important to us (DS eats soy yogurt). I just try not to over do it and work to have a variety of protein sources for DS. IMO it's a balance between possibly unhealthy from too much soy vs. definitely unhealthy from not enough protein.
    Lynn

Abby loves yogurt, grilled cheese sandwiches, scrambled eggs (I'll make her one in the middle of the day if she seems particularly munchy)... I've been nervous about introducing nut butters, too, but we have no history of allergies, so I may just give it a try pretty soon. She's a perpetual snacker, and I'm getting tired of offering the same thing all the time. I know she eats other proteins during the day, but I'm drawing a bank right now.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Brie goes great with apples. If you aren't dairy intolerant, there are a lot of options with cheese. Almond butter is too, and one of Haylee's favorites! Eggs are another great source, and can be thrown into a lot of things. We are really having to work to get stuff into haylee right now, and she hasn't gained anything in 2 months and her height just fell off the charts too, so I need to figure something out. We just cut out wheat from all our diets, just to see if maybe it is a wheat intolerance.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Before we found out about DS food allergies - I was all excited to make things like mini-quiches & frittatas (basically quiche without a crust) & stratas (like a frittata but has bread in the filling) using a mini-muffin pan to make DS sized single servings. All of these are egg / cheese / dairy dishes that can be combined with a variety of different veggies and seasonings. My strategy is that they'd be high in protein, calories, fat & whatever veggies or meats I could sneak in. Oh well. Maybe something like this would work for Daniel?

A little bit of a hijack - DS has a well baby check next week and I'm a bit nervous about his height / weight check.
    Lynn

So almond butter is really okay for 1 year olds w/o allergies? Zach is getting pretty thin and I want to get more healthy fat into him too. (He lives on a diet of fruit and chicken right now.) They just put in fun grinders at our grocery store and I am dying to try them out!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?