Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help..my milk is suddenly low

Question Re: Help..my milk is suddenly low

Hi all...Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've started eating oatmeal 1-2x's a day...and I'm drinking New Mother's Tea by The Herbal Alchemist. I've noticed some impovement on some days and none on others. I'm just pumping any chance I get also. I'll keep working at it. Do you think it is safe to take blessed thistle or fenugreek at the same time as drinking the tea?

Default Re: Help..my milk is suddenly low

I stay at home. But shortly after starting an exercise program I started to loose milk. I increased my food and water in take and started pumping after my dd nursed; it took about 4 days of this for my milk to regain. We've been fine ever since. I know my situation is not the same but it's one more thing to consider. Hope this helps. Good luck, Sara

Default Re: Help..my milk is suddenly low

Hi all, this is my first ever post, so hopefully I'm not stepping on any feet by making a suggestion...

For my first child I had quite a lot of problems with milk supply, The Lactation consultant that I was working with had me take Fenugreek, and although I noticed a small increase, it wasn't enough. She next suggested a prescription drug. I had to see my GP in order to get the prescription, but it's called Domperidon. It also goes by another name, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is and no longer have the pill bottle to check.

The drug itself is normally prescribed to people who have bowel problems, but as it was explained to me by my lactation consultant, and confirmed by my GP, it works to "regulate" the bowels... so someone who has overactive bowels, it 'calms you down' for lack of a better phrase, and for someone who is perpetually constipated, it will 'get things moving'... But if, like me, you have no problems in this area at all, it wouldn't affect your bowels at all. You'd stay as regular as you were before.

However, when people began taking this drug for their bowel problems, they noticed one MAJOR side effect. A large increase in milk production... even to the point that women who were not breastfeeding started to produce small amounts of milk. (Or so I've been told. I've never done much research on it myself.)

So, after I spoke to my GP, and he called one of the local OB/GYNs who confirmed that I'm NOT crazy and this actually does work for some women, he prescribed the medication to me and I noticed a bit of a difference...

I never had an abundance of milk, but it helped enough that I was able to nurse until my baby was 9 months old as opposed to stopping when she was 2 or 3 months as I thought I might have to! I only wish someone had told me about the Oatmeal thing... or even the Blessed Thistle. No one mentioned either of them at the time.

I've been reading a lot on this board tonight and haven't noticed anyone else suggest this one, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!