Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help..my milk is suddenly low

Unhappy Help..my milk is suddenly low

I have been breastfeeding my son for 4 months now. I have been back to work since Thanksgiving and pump 2x's while I"m there to supply my son with milk while he is at his grandparents house each day. At first I was pumping plenty of milk...at least 5 ounces from the right side and 3 on the left each time I pumped. (my right always produced more). I solely breastfeed on the weekends. Recently my breast milk is signficantly less...I"m lucky if I pump a total of 5 ounces each each time I pump. I don't know what to do....I need to be able to make 2 5oz bottles plus have extra to be putting in his rice cereal. I have been taking fenugreek also for the last two days (2 pills 3x's a day). Nothing seems to be working. I"m afraid I'll have to have his grandparents give him formula if I can't supply the milk. Please help!!

Default Re: Help..my milk is suddenly low

HI! In my experiance, when my supply is low i find that drinking extra water helps. even eating helps out.
    I tried all the mothersmilk and fenugreek, nothing worked for me.

Water, water, water! drink tons of water. ALso, try eating oatmeal, that seems to help me a lot.

Hi there! Sounds like you are very worried about having milk to leave for your baby. I have a couple of questions for you. What type of pump are you using? Has your ds been nursing more at night lately? Does your ds take all 5 oz at one time/2x a day for his grandparents? Or does he space out his feedings a bit more? How often does he eat cereal? How long has he been eating cereal? Sorry for all the questions, but it might help to see what is going on .

Some mothers find the following schedule works very well for them. They get up and pump first thing in the morning and then nurse the baby. Or nurse him while you pump, but do it first thing. ( Don't worry, you will still have enough milk for him!) Then take him to the caregiver's and nurse him again right before you leave. That way it is almost like he has had his first feeding there, but it is from you. Then continue to pump as you have been at work. Would you be able to nurse him on your lunch break? Some moms have their babies close by and this works for them. If not, just pump as you would and then nurse him and soon as you go to pick him up. You can also make sure that your grandparents are not mistaking cues to be held, walked, etc., for cues to eat. Sometimes it is hard caring for a baby because we often think feeding is the only thing that is needed to make them happy. He might just need to be held a lot (probably not an issue with grandparents just thought I'd mention it!). If this does not seem to help, maybe he is setting his own schedule:

Some babies do what is called reverse cycling. They take the majority of their milk directly from their mothers in the evening, at night and in the early morning and don't take as much, or sometimes don't take any, during the day. This is all completely normal. Just think of it as him "sleeping through the night" except he is doing it during the day.

HTH, please let us know how things are going!

Fenugreek never worked well for me either, but Blessed Thistle has me engorged in a day taking 2 3x's a day!! Also as LLL Kate said the pump will make a ton of difference!! A good pump is worth it in the long run (coming from a mom who has had at least 4 different types before I realized I needed to stop being cheap). And again as LLL Kate said see if he is reverse nursing I have run into quite a few moms who this has been the case, Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thumbs up Re: Help..my milk is suddenly low

I never believed in the power of OATMEAL until 2 days ago. Have a nice bowl for breakfast and dinner with some maple syrup, it does wonders !! Also, try brewer's yeast (it has a lot of vitamins and minerals). Relax and Good LUCK!

I'm using a medela pump in style. I called LLL support line and they gave me the suggesdtion of a higher grade pump. I am hopefully going to look into that this weekend and see if that helps. This past week my son has been waking up at 3am to nurse...which he was sleeping through. If he falls asleep I go and finish with the pump (despite wanting to go back to sleep too!!). At his grandparents he gets 5oz breastmilk at 8:30, 5 oz formula at 11:30 (I don't have enough pumped for three bottles) and then 5oz breastmilk at 2:30. Lately the first 5oz doesn't satisfy him though. He gets cereal at night only when we get home (1 tbs-only one week so far) and then nursed again at 5:30. He ususally falls asleep by around 7:30 but lately I have been trying to nurse him one more time before he falls asleep for the stimulation. It's only been a few days now...but no changes...fenugreek not helping either. I'm gonna keep trying...any other suggestions would be great!! Thanks for the help!!

I heard about his...I will try..love oatmeal anyway. Does it need to be a particular kind??

Thanks!!!!

Is it a pill form?? Do you take it in combination with fenugreek. I heard that was good to when you take them combined. Thank you all for your help...I so want to keep nursing my son. Never realized how important this would be to me until I thought I couldn't do it anymore. I had originally said I was going to just try for the first three months...but now I have no plans on wanting to stop any time soon and I don't want this to cause me to have to!!

Mothers milk tea!?! I feel an increase by morning. Also yes you can take fenugreek and eat oatmeal!! Sometimes it takes a combination and what works for some does not work for all. Try Blessed Thistle if the fenugreek is not helping you can take these together too. keep us posted