Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low output when pumping

Default low output when pumping

When my 2 1/2 month old drinks expressed milk out of a bottle, she consumes about 5 ounces for a serving. It takes me several pumping sessions to generate this amount. In general, I will express about 1 or 2 ounces per time pumping. (I use the Pump in Style.) I am not concerned that I am not producing enough milk to feed her when I am nursing, but now that I am not always around all of the time I will not be able to keep up with her needs unless I am able to produce more when pumping. I usually pump once during the middle of the night and off of one side in the morning while she is nursing on the other side, in addition to times that I pump when I am not with her. Does anyone have any suggestions for a different pump or ideas for better pumping results?

Default Re: low output when pumping

Let me preface by saying I am no expert at this, but I have asked enough questions of all the breastfeeding experts I know, and this is what they told me (numerous times - I just don't give up!)
    - newborns only need about 24 ounces total (that's the maximum amount) a day. How often is your infant nursing/eating? Of course they drink the perfect amount from your breast, but they can often overeate when given a bottle. If she's eating 8 times a day, she won't need 5oz. per bottle. Have you tried 3oz. to see if that satisfies her? The first time my husband offered my son (then 8 weeks) a bottle, he gave him 6oz and he slurped it right down. The next time we did 3oz, and he reacted the same way and ate at about the same time he would have nursed again.

If she will take 3oz from the bottle, you wouldn't need as much extra. I think you're doing a great job pumping at night and in the morning, but if you're really strapped for milk you could pump on the alternate side all day and keep adding that amount up, no matter how much or little.

As far as pumps, I cannot pump with the PIS (I've tried the classic and advanced) but the Symphony hospital grade pump works wonders for me, and very quickly. I can pump in about 4 minutes, whereas it took me 20 or more to get 1/2 the amount with the PIS.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: low output when pumping

I'm also no expert, but i believe you can pump some prior to nursing you baby and then put her to the breast and she will still get enough milk plus you'll have a supply of pumped milk. This will keep you milk supply up too. Remember..it's supply and demand and your baby is able to extract milk from the breast that the pump doesn't. Keep up the good work...I'm 4+ months into it and there are definately times it can be frustrating and cause you to worry, but it is all definately worth it!